Author Topic: Finals Day .  (Read 19782 times)

Offline IlfordEagle

Re: Finals Day .
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
If I wasn't going to Taunton for the 4 days of the Somerset game then I may well have gone to T20 Finals Day although I think £86 is a bit steep just for tickets, plus fuel etc you are looking at £150+ for the day, having watched the T20 home games plus Sorry & Middx I am gutted but you can't do everything!
I reckon we will be the outsiders so nobody will expect us to do much.

Offline neil

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »
Oh well. There goes the Klinger discussion!

So all four sides batting last won their quarter finals and we are all that is left of the South Group

Didn't see that coming

Offline nat

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Drawn against Derbyshire. So look out for the concerted campaign to 'big up' little ol' Derbyshire, wouldn't it be great if they won it etc etc.

Online JasonP

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
Drawn against Derbyshire. So look out for the concerted campaign to 'big up' little ol' Derbyshire, wouldn't it be great if they won it etc etc.

It was worse last year.  They had an attack of Hardus Viljoen, Lockie Ferguson, Ravi Rampaul and Wahab Riaz last season and they were still being perceived as plucky little Derbyshire then.

It will be the same against Somerset in the CC.  Sky will have Trescothick commentating and will be desperate for Somerset to win their first CC.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 06:40:09 AM »

It was worse last year.  They had an attack of Hardus Viljoen, Lockie Ferguson, Ravi Rampaul and Wahab Riaz last season and they were still being perceived as plucky little Derbyshire then.

It will be the same against Somerset in the CC.  Sky will have Trescothick commentating and will be desperate for Somerset to win their first CC.

To be fair, if we don't I'd rather they did; they get about as raw a deal from the ECB as we do.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »
Just remember that Dominic Cork whose responsible for Derbyshire t20 team used to be sky commenter so they will be wishing his team on

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
Both the underdogs drawn together . Anyway beat the team, not the commentators . Got to be in it to win it , now down to the final  four teams . Think any Essex supporter would take being at finals day at the start of the competition .

Offline Andy

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 06:42:03 PM »

To be fair, we go in with plenty of non-Essex/England players in the T20.  Although ironically we might be one less for finals day!

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 09:13:45 PM »
Quite amazing that all 4 quarters won by sides batting second (I predicted all 4 winners incorrectly!), on paper we have the best draw but we need to break our losing first semi jinx. Winners of Notts/Worcs should be favourites especially given the way both won especially Worcs against a strong Sussex side, being underdogs will suit us though, no pressure.

Offline quincy

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 11:18:51 AM »
Finals day tickets purchased.

No choice where we sit. Apparently we're in blocks 241 and 242.

Took less than 5 minutes including phone call about choice of seats.

Once again thanks to ticket/reception staff for help.

Hotel booked. Now need to book train for the Sunday to Taunton.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
Is Zampa available to play???  Or will he be called back for pre season with S Aus???

Offline Mootown

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 09:37:57 PM »
A Derbyshire team who without the 2nd o/s spot filled are regular fielding 5-6 non UK players in the t20 and have just signed another in Dustin Melton who played for our 2s. We have at times had similar but at least have homegrown players too.

My Derby mates are not pleased about the latter...they are not producing any young players and are packing the side with cheap imports. It's a bit sickening. They are fodder for the too many counties brigade as they are doing nothing to justify their existence or ecb handout. The last England player i can think of was cork. The only lions player they have ever had is Critchley. And he came through the Lancs age groups. They are a home for failed cricketers who shouldn't be earning a living out of the game and just sum up what is wrong with some counties. Players who will never and have never shown potential to play for England or even be able to taking money out of the ECB coffers. They have 2 homegrown players in their CC side at most (Hosein) and 1 in the T20 regularly (hughes) That's it.

At leics and Northants produce England players. 

They will beat us as i think as their not a bad t20 side witj all their mercenaries whearas we are mercurial and won't have amir who is a big loss. But both us and them got through thanks to the toss no other reason. I'd love us to stuff them though. I just feel their getting all the luck.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 10:02:32 PM »
Bashing Derbys is punching down.

I'd rather they won Finals Day than Notts.

Offline stewyww

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 07:05:38 AM »
A Derbyshire team who without the 2nd o/s spot filled are regular fielding 5-6 non UK players in the t20 and have just signed another in Dustin Melton who played for our 2s. We have at times had similar but at least have homegrown players too.

My Derby mates are not pleased about the latter...they are not producing any young players and are packing the side with cheap imports. It's a bit sickening. They are fodder for the too many counties brigade as they are doing nothing to justify their existence or ecb handout. The last England player i can think of was cork. The only lions player they have ever had is Critchley. And he came through the Lancs age groups. They are a home for failed cricketers who shouldn't be earning a living out of the game and just sum up what is wrong with some counties. Players who will never and have never shown potential to play for England or even be able to taking money out of the ECB coffers. They have 2 homegrown players in their CC side at most (Hosein) and 1 in the T20 regularly (hughes) That's it.

At leics and Northants produce England players. 

They will beat us as i think as their not a bad t20 side witj all their mercenaries whearas we are mercurial and won't have amir who is a big loss. But both us and them got through thanks to the toss no other reason. I'd love us to stuff them though. I just feel their getting all the luck.

Don't hold back. Say what you think.

Offline stewyww

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 07:07:18 AM »
Bashing Derbys is punching down.

I'd rather they won Finals Day than Notts.

Absolutely. Now Notts ARE mercenaries.