Author Topic: 4th Test squad  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Perov

Re: 4th Test squad
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
"Smith wears the same double breasted jackets that went out of fashion during the Suez crisis."

Steady on there! They came back into vogue in the 80s. I had a nice one for work....

Maybe he bought them second hand from that other double breasted wearer, Giles Clarke.

Offline Andy

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
"Smith wears the same double breasted jackets that went out of fashion during the Suez crisis."

Steady on there! They came back into vogue in the 80s. I had a nice one for work....

Maybe he bought them second hand from that other double breasted wearer, Giles Clarke.

These ubermensch have their own dress code beyond both fashion and taste.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 10:19:39 AM »
Rightly all county matches in September start at 10.30 to accommodate the failing light at this time of the year. The ECB obviously see themselves above such mundane things as nature so the Tests will start at 11 each day. Any bets on bad light stopping play?

Offline Andy

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »
Rightly all county matches in September start at 10.30 to accommodate the failing light at this time of the year. The ECB obviously see themselves above such mundane things as nature so the Tests will start at 11 each day. Any bets on bad light stopping play?

I've never understood this.  It doesn't get that dark around 6pm (well not up here) and we know how 'juicy' pitches are in September, so starting at 10:30am seems to reinforce the unfair balance between ball and bat.

Why not...deep breath...enforce 'proper' over rates, start at 11 and get it all done by 6pm?

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
Any bets on bad light stopping play?

Before they realigned the wicket I visited Old Trafford in Sept & light stopped play.  ;D

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »

Why not...deep breath...enforce 'proper' over rates, start at 11 and get it all done by 6pm?

When you consider how much test cricket costs it's an absolute farce.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »
Well I've been to The Oval on and off for a few years for a day's test cricket. I've increasingly got frustrated by the lack of value. This year's game is well into mid September and I reckoned you'd have very little chance of getting 90 overs in what with the light fading after 6pm and the generally tardy over rates. (As an aside I think a bit like in both branches of rugby the clock should be stopped as soon as review is signalled and not switched on again until the decision is made and all of that time should be added on straight away).

You have to buy a peak train ticket to get in on time from where I live and when I saw a seat in the Peter May stand was £100 I decided not to bother. I know plenty of people will go and no doubt it's a sell out but I couldn't really justify the thick end of £200 for a day out.

Offline Andy

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
Any bets on bad light stopping play?

Before they realigned the wicket I visited Old Trafford in Sept & light stopped play.  ;D

Yes, Mancunians came out in their thousands to stare at this strange glowing object in the sky.  Some began to worship it, but went blind.

I have my money on a rain effected Test: you can tell I'm not a betting man...

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 05:13:04 AM »
So it's Overton for Woakes.
Sam Curran must think he's using the wrong deodorant. Unless the selectors decide to pull a last minute surprise and Go in without a spinner.
I'd stick a few quid on whoever wins the toss putting the other lot in.