Author Topic: Kent - home REMEMBER 6.30 start!  (Read 4531 times)

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
Kent - home REMEMBER 6.30 start!
« on: August 30, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
Again, no change in the squad:-

Essex squad:-

(no change!)

Simon Harmer (11) (Captain)
Mohammad Amir (5)
Aaron Beard (14)
Ravi Bopara (25)
Sam Cook (16)
Cameron Delport (89)
Ryan ten Doeschate (27)
Dan Lawrence (28)
Jamie Porter (44)
Shane Snater (29)
Paul Walter (22)
Tom Westley (21)
Adam Wheater (31) (Wicket-keeper)
Adam Zampa (88)

Kent:-

Sam Billings
Daniel Bell-Drummond
Alex Blake
Mitchell Claydon
Jordan Cox
Zak Crawley
Faf Du Plessis
Fred Klaassen
Heino Khurn
Matt Millnes
Marcus O'Riordan
Imram Qayyum
Ollie Robinson
Hardus Viljoen

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:43:33 PM by mawallace »

Offline IlfordEagle

Re: Kent - home REMEMBER 6.30 start!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
The only satisfaction if we stuff Kent & prevent them qualifying is that we may let Hants in instead, talk about the devil & the deep blue sea!!
At least we ended Sorry's interest last night!!

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
Our tie with Hampshire could prove very costly. 

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
Wow!.....simply, WOW!! This team never ceases to amaze us with what it can produce! How can a team who were SO bad a few weeks ago suddenly transform and somehow against every odds going, scrape through to the next round? :) Huge well done to them and also a big thank you to Glamorgan who win their first and only match of this years competition, just when we needed them to.
Happy days :)

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:34:30 PM »
I looked at the scores a few minutes ago; didn’t believe it. Then looked the other scores. Anything is possible!

Unbelievable!

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
K*nt & Kolpacks both out.

I might start to like this T20 lark.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »
Trip to Durham. Well I never.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
My dream quarter final. Hang on...where’s it being played again.....

Offline Perov

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »
Good win and sneaked into the quarter finals.
How are we playing Durham who finished 6th in the North group?

Offline nat

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »

We're not. We're playing Lanky. Address all questions about the location to the ECB.

Offline neil

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »

https://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/story/_/id/27470174/lancashire-shift-home-vitality-blast-quarter-final-chester-le-street

And very well done to the team on making it through. Seemed to coincide  with getting the side pretty settled

I assume Amir is not available?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:14:37 PM by neil »

Offline Perov

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »

We're not. We're playing Lanky. Address all questions about the location to the ECB.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
Wow what an absolutely incredible game & a magnificent achievement to win against the odds & finish 4th (3/4 places higher than I & I suspect many others thought we would). Although we still don't look the finished product the team have really pulled together in the last couple of weeks & most importantly we now have momentum going into the 1/4s. I thought we needed 200 to set Kent a decent target but obviously 190 proved too much as we fought our way back from a match Kent looked like winning at least until their 2nd wicket fell & gradually panic set in as they bottled it (for the 4th match running) in the face of some fine bowling & fielding. Terrific all round display from Ravi again, Delport batted very well & a couple of other solid contributions down the order. The atmosphere in the ground was electric & Kent will wonder how they choked but immense credit to Essex for that display, after 3 postponements that made up for it & how. Certainly arguably the best T20 match I have witnessed in years, come on Essex make us proud again on Weds evening.

Offline Reddevil

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 12:47:40 AM »
Wow indeed. Having just watched an incredible result of an incredible match at Taunton, and deliberately refrained from checking scores on this match, but relying on updates from Sky, when Nick Knight calmly announced hot off the presses the composition of the last eight, as Sky had not shown the finish of any of the other matches, when I saw the top qtr final as Lancs v Essex Eagles, I think I stopped breathing and was technically in shock for a few seconds.

Even then I thought, have Sky just got this wrong, a monumental mistake, soon to be corrected.

What a night and how I envy all the supporters at Chelmsford tonight.

Not much more I can add which has not already been stated other than  to re-emphasise that one can ever write off Essex, or do so at your peril.

Was there anyone genuinely confidant last night that we would qualify? I doubt it very much.

The reason is due to the surprise of the night, with Glamorgan defeating Hampshire, for their first win of the campaign, Hampshire who had thrashed Middlesex by eight wickets the night before, and now Middlesex looking very ragged against Hampshire, rising magnificently to the occasion by out batting a strong Somerset side, in one of the finest T20 matches ever played, with supreme batting skills showcased throughout the match. Magnificent.

A small aside- how will Somerset now feel and react after such a kick in the teeth, as they approach the season climax? Very interesting.

We needed not only to beat Kent, difficult enough, but all other results to go our way, which of course they did. Simply jaw dropping.

The utterly capricious nature of T20 has never been demonstrated better than by tonight’s matches.

Purists decry T20, deriding the swashbuckling immediacy, undermining traditional cricket values of building an innings etc., but what is undeniable is the edge of your seat entertainment T20’s provide,  where  matches are often decided by a single shot, catch or wicket.

One last point apart from congratulating the spirit shown by the team over the last two weeks in beating Sussex, Surrey and now Kent. Peaking at the right time.

No, what is really interesting now is playing Lancashire on a neutral venue, due to Test Match commitments at Old Trafford.

How will Lancs feel, in what in effect is playing away at a strange ground, and not being rightly rewarded by playing at home?

Long way to travel for our supporters, but for those who cannot make the trip, at least there is the consolation that it is on Sky next Wednesday, the first qtr final.

Momentum is everything in sport. Do we have it?

You bet.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 05:14:04 AM »
To think within 24 hours we ended the T20 hopes of Kent, Sorry & Hants - it doesn't come better than that!!
As Reddevil has put it so eloquently T20 can be so dramatic & Middlesex too must be on a real high, the 1/4 finals should be well worth watching & I cannot wait for Weds, the atmosphere last night was like going back 4/5 years to when we were a much better T20 side & the support last night was fantastic. I suspect we are still outsiders overall & certainly for Weds, all we can do is our best & the team have already exceeded most of our expectations so in a sense Weds is a free hit. I just hope Mo can play for us (I'm sure he would love to). Let's hope all the posts on this game are positive - there is no reason for negativity after last night's heroics.