Author Topic: Coming to a ground near you?  (Read 10109 times)

Offline squarelegumpire

Re: Coming to a ground near you?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
We were watching the BBC News Channel this morning, just after 9.30am.  Sports news came on: football, women's football, boxing - everything but our national team winning a match abroad.  Does Mr Harrison know how the BBC regards cricket?

Lynda and Steve

Same as BBC Radio 5 Live. All about the Football Premier League games last night with about one minute of reporting at 8.59. But the '100' will solve this issue so no worries.

Isn't the new game going to be on BBC or other 'Free" service? There's no way I'd travel for two hours each way, with three or four changes, plus entrance costs, to go and watch something at Lords. Proper cricket's one thing, but not this bumblepuppy!
And that two hours with Greater Anglia trains, so nothing's guaranteed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:51:17 PM by squarelegumpire »

Offline Andy

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2019, 02:10:14 PM »
Well, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised.  Given that the BBC is clearly focusing upon sports that have a) not been snapped up by SKY/other provider or b) a 'diversity' agenda (being cynical, this usually incorporates point (a), unless it is the EPL.  Hence, suddenly BBC Sport's infatuation with NASCAR/NFL/NBA even the women's WWE division seemingly gets more coverage than cricket.

Whilst I appreciate that alternatives to traditional broadcasters exist (Amazon, Netflix etc.) are the ECB seriously going to overlook the BBC and are the latter wasting money on low grade 'entertainment' when they could fill a couple of hours with live sporting events???

Offline nat

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
The BBC TV have got so little live sport they are desperate for anything. I'd bring back the indoor league. Would be a big hit with, say, Alan Partridge hosting.

Offline Andy

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
The BBC TV have got so little live sport they are desperate for anything. I'd bring back the indoor league. Would be a big hit with, say, Alan Partridge hosting.

Impressive. If AP's not available perhaps Chris Eubank.  Skittles and bar billiards - and any other sport with plenty of 's' sounds...

Offline Postman

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2019, 05:28:45 PM »
BBC TV's attitude to cricket is to treat it as a source of sensational "news" stories rather than a sport, eg they covered Gabriel's alleged homophobic remark to Root without any mention of the match result. Their radio coverage is a different matter but I wouldn't let them anywhere near televised cricket again.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
I wouldn't let them anywhere near televised cricket again.

Unfortunately, the ECB have - if you can call this rubbish 'cricket'.

Lynda

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »
The point that Graves, Harrison and all their consultants have consistently overlooked is that their "new audience" rarely watch BBC tv. They are far more likely to come across this thing if it was on You tube, Amazon or Netflix.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:32:21 AM by LeedsExile »

Offline Andy

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
The point that Graves, Harrison and all their consultants have consistently overlooked is that their "new audience" rarely watch BBC tv. They are far more likely to come across this thing if it was on You tube, Amazon or Netflix.

Certainly there’s a need to consider these alternatives, but how many people still watch mindlessly the likes of Strictly Come Dancing on the Beeb? we tend to forget that a lot of new broadcasters tend to obfuscate their viewing figures. Sky’s cricket viewing figures had been going down, BT has struggled as well, with a woefully unrealistic spending spree they now regret. 

Offline smandlej

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »
Unfortunately, unless you fill the sides with so-called celebrities who most of us have never heard of, The Hundred definitely won't fall into the same category as Strictly Come Dancing, Andy!

Lynda

Offline Andy

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2019, 04:29:58 PM »
Unfortunately, unless you fill the sides with so-called celebrities who most of us have never heard of, The Hundred definitely won't fall into the same category as Strictly Come Dancing, Andy!

Lynda

Well, I've got the impression that the Hundred is exactly that - cricketing 'celebrities' of varying quality playing for hastily constructed 'teams' that most established won't buy into: it's just lacking the fake tans, sequins and obligatory rumours of illicit affairs between participants.

...unless the ECB will be chasing the 'Pink Pound' ;)

Offline smandlej

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »
I'm sure sequins could be arranged.

Lynda

Offline JasonP

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »

Certainly there’s a need to consider these alternatives, but how many people still watch mindlessly the likes of Strictly Come Dancing on the Beeb? we tend to forget that a lot of new broadcasters tend to obfuscate their viewing figures. Sky’s cricket viewing figures had been going down, BT has struggled as well, with a woefully unrealistic spending spree they now regret.

Speaking of that can you think anyone that's less suited to going on it than this guy?  The Australian version.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6767777/DWTS-judge-Craig-Revel-Horwood-says-Sir-Curtly-Ambrose-needs-criticism-better.html

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »
If you think the Strictly ratings are good now, imagine how big they’ll be when Sir Chef finally does the show!

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/banner/english_cricket_must_not_abandon_its_fans_in_pursuit_of_a_new_audience.html

This article is preaching to the converted as far as the members of this forum are concerned but still worth a read.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2019, 09:41:24 AM »
I wonder if the likes of Graves & Harrison read the type of comments on the Cricketer or on County Forums? Silly me , they won't because the plain truth will hurt them, most proper cricket fans DON'T want The Hundred, end of!!