Author Topic: Member forum on 4th October  (Read 2517 times)

Offline nat

Member forum on 4th October
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
If anyone who attended is able to provide a summary of the discussion we would be very grateful.

Offline Postman

Re: Member forum on 4th October
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:52:49 PM »
It was poorly attended, only about 30 people, and no coaches or players present due, we were told, to the PCA Dinner the same night, so the top table was Messrs Faragher, Northfield (Deputy chairman) and Bowden.

Development:
*Plans currently under consideration, work hopefully to start next winter, funded by our reserves plus ECB funding from new competitions plus the return of our £600K (said to be imminent), but no debt, aimed at upgrading pavilion/exec suite-*awareness that the loos and players facilities need improvement.
* Also new floodlights to be paid for by ECB.
*Hope to stay playing at the ground while this happens (unlike previous plans). City council said to be supportive.
* Meteor Way should be available next year, beyond that we don't know

Future of competitions:
*Chairmen and CEOs met last week at the Oval, as already reported in the press, although exactly what form the 100 or whatever will take in 2020 is still up for grabs. *However the 50 over competition is likely to be played at the same time as the 100 so this will become more of a "development" competition-there will be no cap on the number of players from each county who could be called up to the 100. 
*CC likely to remain bookending the season, as now, but will see Div 1 increase to ten counties and Div 2 reduce to 8 from 2020, therefore only one county to be relegated and three promoted in 2019.  But only 14 matches per county so some whizzo scheme to be developed to decide which counties don't play each other twice in Div 1.
* Because of the World Cup and the Ashes next year (the latter not starting till 1 August) there is likely to be more CC cricket in the first half of the season and less in September.
*The aim is to keep 7 home T20 matches.
* Not clear if any more day/night CC fixtures planned

Playing side:
* Vijay unlikely to be back next year except posibly for a short spell depending on Siddle's possible involvement in the Ashes
* No plans for Wagner to reappear, Siddle likely to play in 50 over as well as CC but probably not T20
* Cook likely to play in 50 over as well as CC and even perhaps in T20
* Zampa likely to be back for T20
* Recognition that batsmen had a poor year but aim to get more out of them next year rather than sign someone new -club keen about prospects from within eg Patel, Kushi, Pepper
* We are running about £750k below the salary cap
* Conceded that T20 was poor this year, they are working on it
* RTD has no plans to give up any time soon (implication that this meant the captaincy as well as playing)
* Third place in CC viewed as something we would have been happy about at the start as the season was seen as one of  consolidation

I think that is about all, but if anyone would like to add or correct anything please feel free.

Offline nat

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
Thanks. Playing side seems a bit complacent.

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »
Thanks. Playing side seems a bit complacent.

The best way to get more out of players is to bring in quality players so that they have to perform to keep their place in the team.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
If they want more people to attend then they need the timing to be sorted.

Offline Mick

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
If they want more people to attend then they need the timing to be sorted.

I'm sure they don't.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Many thanks Mr P. Couldn’t get there myself; family reasons.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
Very informative, Thanks for the report.

Offline Stringbok

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
thanks for the report....even though it contains the news that the morons at the ECB are persisting in fixing the unbroken. What I wonder can be the reason for a ten team first division other than reducing the chance of Graves ' Yorkshire getting relegated.  Expect poor old Worcs will still manage to yo-yo.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »
Expect poor old Worcs will still manage to yo-yo.

It wasn't that long ago that I used to admire Worcs for spending every other season in the top flight.

Offline Andy

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »

It wasn't that long ago that I used to admire Worcs for spending every other season in the top flight.

Indeed. We shouldn't be too smug after that prolonged period in D2.

Offline nat

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

I wouldn't worry. After the forthcoming CC re-jig/stitch-up Essex and the other nine Div 1 counties will be pretty much exempt from relegation.

Offline Andy

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »

I wouldn't worry. After the forthcoming CC re-jig/stitch-up Essex and the other nine Div 1 counties will be pretty much exempt from relegation.

You think that we're part of that select group???

Offline nat

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »
Yep. By any sensible criteria we are in it. Hang on... This is the ECB we are talking about...
Oh s**t.