Author Topic: Trent Bridge to host 100-ball 'trials'  (Read 2866 times)

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Trent Bridge to host 100-ball 'trials'
« on: August 24, 2018, 04:25:46 PM »
You couldn't make it up ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45294390

"Men's and women's 100-ball matches are to be trialled in September before a new competition set to start in 2020.

The new format, proposed by the England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA), is a variation on Twenty20, with 100 balls per side instead of 20 overs.

Nottinghamshire's Trent Bridge will host pilot games from 16-18 September, with all current male players invited.

Loughborough will host the women's games on 14, 15 and 27 September.

Worcestershire batsman and PCA chairman Daryl Mitchell said: "The current plan is to have three or four XIs to maximise the investigations on the three days while making sure the workload for players is manageable.

"We are hopeful the majority of counties will have a representative, although with some counties having first XI and second XI fixtures it will not be possible to have a player from each of the 18 counties.

"All current male players have been contacted to notify them of the details for the pilot matches, with player availability co-ordinated via the counties and the ECB."

Offline nat

Re: Trent Bridge to host 100-ball 'trials'
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 04:44:42 PM »
Let's hope it rains. God's will.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 04:56:31 PM »
Who is going to playing these? I note that there is a round of CC matches starting on Tues 18th - so can't see many counties attending!

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »
Read some of the comments underneath the article ....

Offline Andy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
Before the Gillette Cup competition started in 1963, for a season or two there was a regional limited overs competition involving the midlands clubs - I think following the 65 over format that characterised the first few years of the Gillette Cup.  This was a far better way to pilot a new competition. 

But I'm sensible and logical, this is the ECB. Silly me.

Offline jwb

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
So how many of us on here are actually going to go and watch this? Most seem to to be ambilivent at best to t20 when we can at least see our own players. My only concern is the devaluation of the four day game but I suppose money talks at the end of the day.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:46:15 AM »
See that Paul Walter was taking part in the trials. Does anyone know if others from Essex were in the trials?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45552519

Offline nat

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
Callum Taylor and Matt Dixon i believe.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
To answer jwb's question I wouldn't go to watch this. If there was a franchise in Essex/East London I might give it a go but wouldn't travel to The Oval for it (easier for me than Lord's). Of course if Essex were playing a 50 over game at the same time I'd prioritise that.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:29:17 PM »
To answer jwb's question I wouldn't go to watch this. If there was a franchise in Essex/East London I might give it a go but wouldn't travel to The Oval for it (easier for me than Lord's). Of course if Essex were playing a 50 over game at the same time I'd prioritise that.

No, I wouldn’t go either, but neither Mr S nor I are the target audience. It’s the young lads in Romford, Walthamstow, Ilford and the like.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
Mr Square I actually quite enjoyed the T20 games I saw this year - the away fixture at Lord's but also the double header at Coggeshall! A super golden day

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
But this isn't 20/20 but a Frankenstein concoction of the ECB that introduces farcical elements just to make it different.

Offline Andy

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
But this isn't 20/20 but a Frankenstein concoction of the ECB that introduces farcical elements just to make it different.

Supposedly designed to be simpler (so "women can understand it" according to Mr Strauss) but it seems to me that one needs a degree in applied maths and continental philosophy to grasp its extra nuances.  A dogs dinner. 

If anything, they should try out double innings one day matches - the one flaw in single innings cricket is that a couple of key wickets go and the match is all but over, without the safety net of another innings.  Two x 20 over innings could replace the rather predictable and tired 50 over format.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »
Well, this woman was led to understand that a lot of people didn't like cricket because it was so complicated..... so, in order to attract non-cricket-lovers, they seem to have made it a whole lot more complicated?  Run that one past me again.  If it's to be simplified, they should just say that 13 players can play, with no more than 11 on the field at any one time, scrap the powerplay, and bowlers bowl 5-ball overs.  Anything more than that doesn't stand a chance of attracting new audiences.

Lynda

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 10:02:21 PM »
Well, this woman was led to understand that a lot of people didn't like cricket because it was so complicated..... so, in order to attract non-cricket-lovers, they seem to have made it a whole lot more complicated?  Run that one past me again.  If it's to be simplified, they should just say that 13 players can play, with no more than 11 on the field at any one time, scrap the powerplay, and bowlers bowl 5-ball overs.  Anything more than that doesn't stand a chance of attracting new audiences.

Lynda

Well said that lady, I read today's Daily Mail article about it & was baffled !