Author Topic: Second Xi Champions?  (Read 13353 times)

Offline neil

Re: Second Xi Champions?
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »
Time for a generation shift within the club?

We have a number of senior players leaving - Foster Dixon Zaidi for sure.  RTD and Chopra are getting on as well and Chopra has had a very lean time in CC1.

And we have what appears to be the best 2nd XI in the land, narrowly missing out on both T20 and 4 day titles.

No use having a 2nd XI structure unless some of them graduate when they do well and when opportunities arise.

The sad thing was we lost one generation of good players who might now be coming to their peak through injury/money/first team opportunities (Mills Topley Foakes).
Whether either Mills & Topley were a loss, given their injury records, is a moot point but Foakes was certainly a great loss.

Valid point about a number of oldies either leaving or without much time left, but the big Q is who is ready to challenge for a place where we are weakest, i.e. the batting.  I'd prefer to see new blood towards the top of the order and drop Tom down a place or 2- are any of the 2nd XI candidates suitable?

Yes. Think this is the point.

The only batsman who made a regular, real impact in the Second Eleven Championship was Patel.  Guess they'll give him a contract but whether he is ready for CC1, especially up the order is debatable, surely. Most of the bowlers who did well are already contracted.

I'll agree with other comments. While I am all for bringing our youngsters through I still believe signing a middle order batter with experience (no idea who that is, though!) would be a great move this winter

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »

We have a number of senior players leaving - Foster Dixon Zaidi for sure.  RTD and Chopra are getting on as well and Chopra has had a very lean time in CC1.

And we have what appears to be the best 2nd XI in the land, narrowly missing out on both T20 and 4 day titles.

No use having a 2nd XI structure unless some of them graduate when they do well and when opportunities arise.

The sad thing was we lost one generation of good players who might now be coming to their peak through injury/money/first team opportunities (Mills Topley Foakes).
Whether either Mills & Topley were a loss, given their injury records, is a moot point but Foakes was certainly a great loss.

Valid point about a number of oldies either leaving or without much time left, but the big Q is who is ready to challenge for a place where we are weakest, i.e. the batting.  I'd prefer to see new blood towards the top of the order and drop Tom down a place or 2- are any of the 2nd XI candidates suitable?

The only batsman who made a regular, real impact in the Second Eleven Championship was Patel.  Guess they'll give him a contract but whether he is ready for CC1, especially up the order is debatable, surely. Most of the bowlers who did well are already contracted.

I'll agree with other comments. While I am all for bringing our youngsters through I still believe signing a middle order batter with experience (no idea who that is, though!) would be a great move this winter
I'd rather sign someone who can open or bat number 3, but I can't think of any British player who's likely to be available to bat there or the middle order, although I heard some speculation that Scott Borthwick might want to leave Surrey, to get a regular starting place and some bowling opportunities, a while back. I'm not convinced there's anything in it, though.

Offline neil

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »

I'd rather sign someone who can open or bat number 3, but I can't think of any British player who's likely to be available to bat there or the middle order, although I heard some speculation that Scott Borthwick might want to leave Surrey, to get a regular starting place and some bowling opportunities, a while back. I'm not convinced there's anything in it, though.

Presumably, we will have a settled opening pair in Cook and Browne?

I can see a number 3 if you want to push Westley down the order. But he's batted at 3 most of his career so not sure that will happen . Maybe someone who could bat anywhere between 3-6.

Think I read somewhere there was a possibility of Borthwick returning to Durham. Someone said on Cricket 24/7 that Wessels was unsettled. Quite like him

Plus Pettini (and Eckersley who some on here liked a while back) has been released by Leics.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:30:58 PM by neil »

Offline Andy

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »
Plus Pettini (and Eckersley who some on here liked a while back) has been released by Leics.

I used to like 'Eckers like' in the past but batting average of less than 30 now.  Might as well stick with Wheater with Pepper/Buttleman given opportunities as and when.  Pity because NE looked like the only Leics player to know which end of a bat to use...

Offline neil

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »

I used to like 'Eckers like' in the past but batting average of less than 30 now.  Might as well stick with Wheater with Pepper/Buttleman given opportunities as and when.  Pity because NE looked like the only Leics player to know which end of a bat to use...

Not advocating him at all but I suppose you could pick him up as "reserve batsman" and leave the wicketkeeping as you describe.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
Borthwick is like Stoneman: does all the hard work, then skies one into the outfield.  At least he always did when he was with Durham.

Lynda and Steve

Offline jwb

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »

[/quote

And when did you last see him play?

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
Barring Borthwick maybe, I cannot see any CC1  side releasing a top order batsman that would really benefit a rival, the only option would be to sign a really good one from CC2 (No idea who) or a Kolpak in the mould of Elgar.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »
Barring Borthwick maybe, I cannot see any CC1  side releasing a top order batsman that would really benefit a rival, the only option would be to sign a really good one from CC2 (No idea who) or a Kolpak in the mould of Elgar.

Joe Clarke is out of contract at the end of the season.  I would doubt he'd come here though.  He's being linked with Notts.