Author Topic: Facilities  (Read 3107 times)

Offline neil

Facilities
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »

Be interested in other people's views.

I am an Essex fan trapped in deepest, darkest Kent. I noticed that our seconds are playing a championship match at the Polo Farm in Canterbury and thought that it would be fun to go along for a day. I have a friend who lives in the city and fancies it too

I took it upon myself to find out the food and drink situation. It appears that you can talk to the guy who does the teas re food. The bar is unlikely to be open and you cannot take alcohol in. There are cold drink machines (water etc) around the ground.

I wondered if this is normal practice for second eleven games. I appreciate that you could take your own food and it isn't a necessity to have a beer - but on a hot day watching cricket with a friend a couple of beers would be most welcome. There aren't any local hostelries that I am aware of

It does seem a bit limiting. I get that there is free entry but I think we may now go and see the West Indies game at St Lawrence ground instead. It doesn't feel as though there is much encouragement to go, I guess

Any thoughts/views/experiences?

Offline Slogger

Re: Facilities
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
Well I can only comment on my experience at Halstead and Coggeshall. Both have a beer tent - Coggeshall's is more or less a beer festival and if you like beer and can find a way of getting there without driving it really is a must do - and my recollection is that there was a burger/ice cream van at Coggeshall last year. Not sure about Halstead and food , although there was a lunch going on in a marquee there. Both venues are quite rural and make for a splendid day in high summer. With the dearth of proper cricket in the summer holiday period and the demise of the Colchester festival I hope to do a day at both grounds in August, although in a wonderful piece of fixture planning the Coggeshall three day game is a direct clash with the West Indies game at Chelmsford.

Offline Perov

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
I also like a day at Coggeshall, and confirm burgers and ice cream are normally available.
As the tourists match clashes with the seconds match, and Essex tend to field a weakened team in these tourist games I wonder who will play at Coggeshall?

I'm surprised you can not take booze into the match in Kent.
You are unlikely to be searched, there will be very few spectators,  so who would enforce it.
Provided drinking is in moderation, I doubt a couple of beers would cause a problem.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »
There will definitely be a beer tent at Coggeshall. White wine for the ladies, too!
Don't know who'll be doing the burgers, but food there will be. Plenty of parking, too, although it's a bit of a walk ....... 10-15 minutes.........to the buses and more to the trains.

If the weather is anything like, it's a great week. Hill on one side of the ground ..... bit like Derby, and a great atmosphere.
Couple of years ago, when the weather was awful everyone who turned up on the Friday gave up on the cricket ...... well, there wasn't any ....... stayed, and drank the beer tent dry!

Offline smandlej

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
Our only experience is the match between Durham Seconds and Essex Seconds at Richmond the other week.  Richmond Cricket Club has a proper pavilion building and food and drink is served, although the bar doesn't usually open until the evening on weekdays.  During the match, Richmond CC volunteers manned the bar so that the few spectators could have a drink during the day, and the full menu was available for food all day.

We believe Durham Seconds play there once every season, so it's a regular fixture.  Durham Seconds do play at Chester-le-Street: not sure if the Member's area is open, but probably the restaurant/bar on the ground would be.  However, would guess for other matches that it's pot luck as to whether the ground where they're playing has facilities 'built in', so to speak.

Lynda and Steve

Offline neil

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
I also like a day at Coggeshall, and confirm burgers and ice cream are normally available.
As the tourists match clashes with the seconds match, and Essex tend to field a weakened team in these tourist games I wonder who will play at Coggeshall?

I'm surprised you can not take booze into the match in Kent.
You are unlikely to be searched, there will be very few spectators,  so who would enforce it.
Provided drinking is in moderation, I doubt a couple of beers would cause a problem.

They were pretty adamant about it. It's a sports centre so it may be a case of no alcohol outside the bar?

Offline hattrick

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
Polo farm is pleasant and rather open, it's a Cricket, Tennis and Hockey facility.

Park the car and you are 20 yards from the boundary.Don't think any pubs etc near as a couple of mile out of town.

Take a cool bag with as many beers, food etc, guarantee no one will talk to you let alone ask to check your bag ..... no one will be there for a start!

Offline brazilianglen

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:17 AM »
Grounds such as Halstead and especially Coggeshall are exceptions (as is Radlett). Most Second Xi
venues have limited or non existent spectator facilities

When travelling to them by public transport, it is always difficult to know whether you will find a plastic chair or even a bench to sit on.

At most venues the attendance will always be under 50, a situation that seems to suit all parties. Spectators are seen to be a hindrance to the 'professional' proceedings taking place. As a secretary of Yorkshire CCC once said ' 2nd xi cricket is not a spectator sport'

Even with two three day games taking place on a warm day at Billericay yesterday, the bar was still closed

Offline Blocky

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:00:05 AM »
Two?  who else played then mate?

Offline brazilianglen

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »
Essex v Middx Under 17

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
Considering the other 2nd XI venues -including Bishop's Stortford where Essex aren't playing this year-all manage to serve at least a drink at the bar, I think it's pretty poor that Billericay can't be bothered. Last time I was there they had a man taking money for tea and coffee in the morning but the bar remained firmly shuttered. As I posted here a few weeks back, time was when we were kept directly informed about 2nd xi matches instead of having to hunt the information down on Twitter etc. Can't the club see that it's a positive thing that some people are interested?

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
Grounds such as Halstead and especially Coggeshall are exceptions (as is Radlett). Most Second Xi
venues have limited or non existent spectator facilities

When travelling to them by public transport, it is always difficult to know whether you will find a plastic chair or even a bench to sit on.

At most venues the attendance will always be under 50, a situation that seems to suit all parties. Spectators are seen to be a hindrance to the 'professional' proceedings taking place. As a secretary of Yorkshire CCC once said ' 2nd xi cricket is not a spectator sport'

Even with two three day games taking place on a warm day at Billericay yesterday, the bar was still closed

In my experience, those attending Second XI fixtures are well over 50!

Except on Friday at Coggeshall!!