Author Topic: Members ballot  (Read 16443 times)

Offline stewyww

Re: Members ballot
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 06:16:58 PM »
I've been supportive of the club so far in the way they've handled this, but as I predicted in a post here last month, they just outsourced the whole thing to the securicrats and produced a code of conduct that might as well say "Sorry we can't be a**ed to have people in the ground, so we've made the whole thing so unattractive that they will be forced to stay at home and watch the livestream" (while being sent demented by the interminable effusions of D Topley).
It would take too long to set all the horrors out in detail but here are a few for starters:
*Not being able to bring in a bag for an all day game is totally unreasonable, especially if there's no food on sale in the ground. So everyone has either to starve or go into town, mingling with more people than they otherwise would.
*There's no recognition that some older members don't use the internet or email. How are they supposed to get tickets?
*What on earth is the problem with allowing people in on day 4? If numbers are smaller, you don't need so many staff.
*Why do people have to turn up at set times? Why can't someone work in the morning and come down at lunchtime or teatime?
*Nothing re whether Meteor Way will be available. (NB the park and rise bus is currently suspended).

I'm very disappointed that Peter Northfield as chair of membership, who has always seemed genuinely on the side of members, has signed off on this.
Excellent post.
No official news on actual numbers allowed in yet.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2021, 05:53:33 AM »
A lot of the restrictions are similar to those applied by football clubs last Autumn, so didn't surprise me. In the blurb it says a pen and ink version of the form is in the membership pack so one assumes there is a non on line option. One is asked to use one format only. No 4th day crowds is clearly about not incurring costs for something that may not happen. Didn't they say at the member's forum these measures cost about £20k a day?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:02:18 AM by Slogger »

Offline Captain Slaphead

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2021, 03:59:58 PM »

Rumour is 250 tops (allegedly confirmed by Membership Office)

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2021, 05:03:00 PM »
Has anyone had their pack yet?

No sign of mine ...

Offline Postman

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »

I presume that excludes the committee and all the other characters who seem to get in by the back door?

Doesn't bode well for what happens after June 21st either.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 07:42:28 PM »
I’m a bit puzzled. I travel by bus; takes a bit over an hour. If I get the first bus on which I can use my bus pass it often means I get to the ground shortly after the game starts.
Will I be able to get in?
I assume I’ll also be able to leave when I want, as well, given the bus times.

Offline Mick

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 09:26:20 PM »

Not sure it's a rumour. It was stated on the ballot entry process: 200 on each of the first three days, zero on the fourth day and 600 on T20 days.

A scandalously low figure which in no way reflects a potential safe capacity.

Offline nat

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »

Not sure it's a rumour. It was stated on the ballot entry process: 200 on each of the first three days, zero on the fourth day and 600 on T20 days.

A scandalously low figure which in no way reflects a potential safe capacity.

they want to limit the crowd to player's family/friends and committee members' family/friends.

Offline Mick

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2021, 09:33:59 PM »
A lot of the restrictions are similar to those applied by football clubs last Autumn, so didn't surprise me. In the blurb it says a pen and ink version of the form is in the membership pack so one assumes there is a non on line option. One is asked to use one format only. No 4th day crowds is clearly about not incurring costs for something that may not happen. Didn't they say at the member's forum these measures cost about £20k a day?

The on costs of having a few stewards on standby can't be that great surely? I'd be interested to see a breakdown of that amount.

Offline vim

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 06:33:50 AM »
The figure for T20 is a joke. It will not exactly meet the demand. The figure for Championship cricket shows that they would rather play behind closed doors. As they have got membership payment off people if they were to do that, those who paid will realise that they have been ripped off. Around 90% of them at this rate will be in that position.

It costs money to hire the field at Meteor Way and it requires at least two Stewards to manage. As there will be no Corporate guests and the Premier Suite is shut can they use their places in the Car Park next door? The Premier members have 10 places reserved for them and Corporate guests have places allocated as well. As the capacity has been reduced considerably can the disabled places which are a ratio of the capacity be reduced as well?

Offline Postman

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
Probably not much consolation but Somerset members appear to be having the same experience-see their message board at https://www.cricketnetwork.co.uk/boards/read/s59.htm?60,16962693.

Were the club really aware that we would be looking at such tiny numbers allowed in (even for the Blast) up to mid June when they collected direct debits at the end of March? If so they were selling membership on a false prospectus. If not, how far have they challenged the attitudes of PHE or whoever is dictating these measures? And don't even get me started on why I seem to have very little chance of watching cricket, when I can go and join loads of folk milling around unmasked in Primark......

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 09:09:22 AM »
 Considering the club is mindful of running up any massive dept, 15k costs a day, which includes medical and security staff,  for only 200/250 attendees seems rather excessive.
 When and where will  results be issued on how many were requested / denied on these ballot days ?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
If anyone gets red ball tickets could they let people know? I applied for every day offered.

The only option for seating for red ball was Felsted stand and Hayes Close area.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:00:14 PM by essexfan548 »

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 12:18:49 PM »

The only option for seating for red bakk was Felsted stand and Hayes Close area.

There in lies the problem - if you only have those two stands open you will struggle to get 200 people in - keeping them 2 m apart.

But £15 k to steward that seems to be a lot of money.

Offline stewyww

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
The ECB and Sports Ground Safety Authority review of the ground under COVID-19 restrictions said that the maximum figure that can be admitted under Stage 3 guidance is 600.
A little bit on the cautious side, but we can all see the rational behind that.

What is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE is for the club reducing this to 200 spectators a day for FINANCIAL REASONS.
Yes, the more the crowd, the higher the cost of stewarding and medical facilities, but SO WHAT?

The club have conveniently overlooked that we fully subsidised them last season, and look like doing so again.

Why don't the club just ask for annual donations, and have all games behind closed doors, because it is clear that is what they want?

As members we have been treated appallingly on this issue. Oh for the days of Peter Edwards;it would have been handled in a way where the members were made to feel welcome and wanted.

Shame on the committee.