Author Topic: Tourist Match  (Read 11304 times)

Offline vim

Re: Tourist Match
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »
On ceefax the game is now listed in the forthcoming fixtures as day 0 on Wednesday. There are no further entries for the next two days.

Has the game been cancelled?

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »
It appears they're not happy with the pitch or outfield.

https://www.sportstarlive.com/india-vs-england/unhappy-india-vs-essex-england-tests-shorten-practice-match-over-condition-of-pitch-outfield/article24504131.ece

I suspect this is complete rubbish since I first heard a rumour of the change of status last Thursday from a well connected source.

This seems to be a bit more balanced.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24183402/india-opt-three-day-warm-due-uk-heat-wave

I think it's a way to get another day playing at Birmingham!

Offline nat

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
and the club is now charging for the Live Stream! Is this going to be  permanent - could members get a discount"

"Can't make the match this week? Watch the action via the Live Stream service. This is a Pay Per View service, priced at £3.99 for the whole game."

Good. Don't see why I should pay for a season ticket/membership plus travel costs when others can watch the game for free.

Offline pablo

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »
I'm sorry as I said before this is a farce. If we don't get another tourist game why should anybody worry as it would not be a game/match in any meaningful sense of the word. The West indies game last year was a complete damp squib and the Australian one the year (sic) before not much better. All the pretence and palaver that this is a special event where members have to get a special ticket to get a specific seat... do me a favour and spare me this nonsense from now on.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
I agree - but members have to pay as well!

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 07:35:46 PM »
our squad:-

Tom Westley (21) (Captain)
Aaron Beard (14)
Nick Browne (10)
Varun Chopra (6)
Matt Coles (1)
Matt Dixon (30)
James Foster (7) (Wicket-keeper)
Dan Lawrence (28)
Aron Nijjar (24)
Rishi Patel (-)
Michael Pepper (19) (Wicket-keeper)
Matt Quinn (94)
Paul Walter (22)

Offline nat

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
our squad:-

Tom Westley (21) (Captain)
Aaron Beard (14)
Nick Browne (10)
Varun Chopra (6)
Matt Coles (1)
Matt Dixon (30)
James Foster (7) (Wicket-keeper)
Dan Lawrence (28)
Aron Nijjar (24)
Rishi Patel (-)
Michael Pepper (19) (Wicket-keeper)
Matt Quinn (94)
Paul Walter (22)

Dixon vs Kholi could be interesting.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »
The Essex v England game ended up as non first class following injuries, Boyd Rankin bowled for us, Tom Westley broke/fractured his finger/thumb, poor Tom Craddock had his 5 for deemed non first class (his only one for Essex) & by Days 3 & 4 many had lost interest anyway, crowds went down daily & the final day attendance was less than we often get for CC matches.
Personally though I will attend each day I wouldn't blame anyone who doesn't bother as neither side will take it seriously & assuming India bat first i can't see them declaring to set us a gettable target on Day 3. BTW the Australia game in 2015 wasn't that bad, it was entertaining with plenty of runs , great weather & very good crowds.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »
I expect it has already been decided who will bat first. I'm not driving for two/three hours for this 'match'.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
I expect it has already been decided who will bat first. I'm not driving for two/three hours for this 'match'.

Its the general rule that the overseas team bars first

Offline smandlej

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »
It appears they're not happy with the pitch or outfield.

https://www.sportstarlive.com/india-vs-england/unhappy-india-vs-essex-england-tests-shorten-practice-match-over-condition-of-pitch-outfield/article24504131.ece

I suspect this is complete rubbish since I first heard a rumour of the change of status last Thursday from a well connected source.

This seems to be a bit more balanced.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24183402/india-opt-three-day-warm-due-uk-heat-wave

I think it's a way to get another day playing at Birmingham!

Funny, we always thought it was hot in India?

Lynda and Steve

Offline Slogger

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »
It's hotter in Chelmsford! I went to races at Gt Leighs last night and my car told me it was 26 celsius at 9.30 when I came out. I have a ticket for Friday but the downgrading of this game and the heat have persuaded me to visit friends in Norfolk on Friday. I'd be interested to hear what the crowd is like for this game.I'm sure the club will have done well on corporate hospitality and I imagine there will be a lot of Indian fans about but I wonder if a lot of members will give it a swerve now?

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
Shame on Essex now charging to watch the live stream.

Offline nat

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
Shame on Essex now charging to watch the live stream.

Why?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
You can listen for free as I am doing - three dropped slip catches so far - Chopra 2, Nijjar 1.