Author Topic: V Sussex  (Read 23324 times)

Offline stickyboy

V Sussex
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
Tonights team new is Topley is back and Foakes rested. Not sure what Foakes adds to the team anyway

Weather looks a bit thundery around 7 ish

Offline stickyboy

Re: V Sussex
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
Game delayed due to Sussex arriving late

Offline galboy

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »
Game delayed due to Sussex arriving late

Amateurs

Offline galboy

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
Now that is setting a target

Offline efcjames

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »
Can't believe it.....that's some innings by Luke Wright. Very worried for the quarter finals now

Offline galboy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Is that the highest run chase in English domestic T20?

dennyp

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
ever! according to bbc essex

Offline DT

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
Might have been a target to set but if you can't defend it...

Don't want to get down as we can beat Warwicks but three defeats on the bounce now is means we go into the quarter final on a bit of a downer surely??  Even if we bat second vs Warwicks it won't be easy.

On the plus side - well done Westley showing his class and talent - two t20 tons in 4 knocks, unreal for a player I bet no one expected to be in the t20 side at the beginning of the season!

Why did Sussex arrive late??

Offline stickyboy

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
According to BBC travel saw mentions of 35 MILES of tailbacks!

Wow what a game - the highest aggregate score of 451 in domestic T20 and Sussex cruised to victory with both sides only losing 3 wickets.

Maybe they could do the toss in advance for QF then if we lose that saves people forking out for tickets!

QF- Sat 2nd Aug at 6pm v Warks...sorry Birmingham!

Offline Stringbok

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
I like all forms of cricket and this year, given some of the dreary Championship cricket I have seen, I have enjoyed the t20 games more.  However perverse as it may seem with all those runs, this game was as dull as the slowest day of 4 day game.

You need a balance between bat and ball and tonight the bat dominated so that-eventually the sixes got boring. Not sure if it was the pitch or that both sides bowled some dross. if the latter I will start worrying about the quarter final now.

IanS

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
I like all forms of cricket and this year, given some of the dreary Championship cricket I have seen, I have enjoyed the t20 games more.  However perverse as it may seem with all those runs, this game was as dull as the slowest day of 4 day game.

You need a balance between bat and ball and tonight the bat dominated so that-eventually the sixes got boring. Not sure if it was the pitch or that both sides bowled some dross. if the latter I will start worrying about the quarter final now.

Exactly my thoughts. Driving home, I thought about the utter dominance of bat over ball. I suppose some spectators enjoy the steady flow of sixes but, for me, there was little excitement. The bowlers on both sides were just cannon fodder. I have often found that the most exciting 1 day matches tend to be low scoring. I doubt whether I shall go to qtr final and provided amnesia doesn't set in, won't bother with tickets next year.

ytsejam

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:44:54 PM »
According to BBC travel saw mentions of 35 MILES of tailbacks!

Wow what a game - the highest aggregate score of 451 in domestic T20 and Sussex cruised to victory with both sides only losing 3 wickets.

Maybe they could do the toss in advance for QF then if we lose that saves people forking out for tickets!

QF- Sat 2nd Aug at 6pm v Warks...sorry Birmingham!

Think that's a great idea, 'cos its sure going to be a waste of time if we lose the toss!!
All this emphasis, resource and ambition shown by the management and cricket board of Essex on winning this damn T20 competition (and effectively demeaning the Championship EVERY season in doing so) and it looks like in the end it will all come down to the toss of a coin!!....

Offline stickyboy

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
Think that's a great idea, 'cos its sure going to be a waste of time if we lose the toss!!
All this emphasis, resource and ambition shown by the management and cricket board of Essex on winning this damn T20 competition (and effectively demeaning the Championship EVERY season in doing so) and it looks like in the end it will all come down to the toss of a coin!!....

T20 Stats (i believe)

Batting First - 5 Games, 1 Win, 4 Defeats
Batting Second - 9 Games, 9 Wins

Offline nat

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Blimey talk about cup half empty for some of you. The team has a home QF against a team which can be beaten.

Tonight I witnessed a great 20-20 innings by Luke Wright. The Essex bowlers/captain did very little wrong ...it was one of those very rare days.

Move along now ... nothing to see here.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 05:28:41 AM »
Blimey talk about cup half empty for some of you. The team has a home QF against a team which can be beaten.

Tonight I witnessed a great 20-20 innings by Luke Wright. The Essex bowlers/captain did very little wrong ...it was one of those very rare days.

Move along now ... nothing to see here.

While I agree with your sentiments Nat, and also that we’ve a great chance of a another Finals day, why do these "rare days” seem to happen with Essex on the sticky end? Lately anyway!
I suppose it’s Fate’s response for Napes' innings a few years ago!