Author Topic: The Final  (Read 19603 times)

Offline LeedsExile

The Final
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »
I have been unable to establish if the 120 over first innings restriction is going to be applied in the final as it is of 5 days duration. This matter was discussed several times on the online commentaries I listened into, but no one knew the answer. It is important that this matter is clarified before the game, because in the event of a draw, the side ahead on first innings will win the trophy. You could then have a scenario where the side batting first just bats on and on. I know this is highly unlikely given the inherent flaws in both sides batting but if weather intervenes there would be no incentive to set up a match. I trust the authorities have thought of this possibility.

Offline golden duck

Re: The Final
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »
Also if the side batting first gets the higher 1st innings total there is absolutely no incentive to declare their 2nd innings. Just bat the game into a stalemate and take the trophy home, why would you set a target of even 400? Keep batting just in case. Again very unlikely given the frail batting but it is a possible scenario

Offline neil

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
I have been unable to establish if the 120 over first innings restriction is going to be applied in the final as it is of 5 days duration. This matter was discussed several times on the online commentaries I listened into, but no one knew the answer. It is important that this matter is clarified before the game, because in the event of a draw, the side ahead on first innings will win the trophy. You could then have a scenario where the side batting first just bats on and on. I know this is highly unlikely given the inherent flaws in both sides batting but if weather intervenes there would be no incentive to set up a match. I trust the authorities have thought of this possibility.

From the link I posted earlier

13.1 Duration
13.1.1 The Bob Willis Trophy
All matches shall be of Four days’ duration (5 days for the Final) and of two innings per side. The first innings of each side shall be limited to 120 overs.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »
Thank you Neil for the clarification. :)  If the weather is fine then a win for either side is most likely.

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
The Aussies tried to address the problem of one team in the Sheffield Shield final batting on and on by using the same bonus points system as in the regular season to decide the final if it was drawn. Their points system is more complicated than ours (over the first 100 overs the batting side gets 0.01 points for every run over 200 and the bowling side gets 0.1 points for every wicket) reducing the chances of a tie on points. If the 120 over limit applies this year, that should be enough to avoid the problem.  But if we are to have a late September final in future years, assuming the conference system comes in next year, it would be worth considering something similar to decide drawn matches, rather than a first innings lead.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
England player Tom Banton unavailable for the final . Off to the IPL, we wish him well .

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
The current long range forecast shows a distinct possibility of rain on the first three days. Could be like Taunton last season.

Offline nat

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 05:52:37 PM »
The current long range forecast shows a distinct possibility of rain on the first three days. Could be like Taunton last season.

You're a b****y cheerful chap.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »

At least I can hide behind the sofa at home - rather than watching it live like last year  ;D

Offline Slogger

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 06:01:14 PM »
I was hiding behind the sofa on the last afternoon! Mind you the Canterbury game was worse! At my age I should learn to calm down a bit.

Offline Andy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »
England player Tom Banton unavailable for the final . Off to the IPL, we wish him well .

He knows who butters his bread.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
I was hiding behind the sofa on the last afternoon! Mind you the Canterbury game was worse! At my age I should learn to calm down a bit.

At Canterbury I was in a stand of Kent supporters - tried not to cheer too much as they were out for 40! I have a great photo of the scoreboard  :)

The last hour at Taunton was slow torture ...

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 08:04:24 PM »
Just as an aside with Bess & now Jamie Overton leaving Somerset for Yorks & Surrey respectively are they merely going for money or a better chance of Eng recognition? It seems strange when Somerset are a very good bet for honours most seasons that 2 of their best are jumping ship, any thoughts?
Incidentally will either play in the Final?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 07:44:22 AM »
Bess is still at Somerset so could play although he has not featured so far. It would be ludicrous if Overton played as he is regularly turning out for Surrey now and played in their last BWT match.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 09:17:49 AM »
Bess is still at Somerset so could play although he has not featured so far. It would be ludicrous if Overton played as he is regularly turning out for Surrey now and played in their last BWT match.
A Somerset supporter told me weeks ago me that their fans weren't too bothered about Jamie O leaving, as long as his brother stayed, and they'd be sorry to lose Bess but understood he'd probably leave to enhance his Test future.