Author Topic: Central contracts  (Read 561 times)

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Central contracts
« on: October 24, 2023, 02:39:02 PM »
England Three-Year Central Contracts: Harry Brook (Yorkshire); Joe Root (Yorkshire); Mark Wood (Durham)

England Two-Year Central Contracts: Rehan Ahmed (Leicestershire); Jofra Archer (Sussex); Gus Atkinson (Surrey); Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire); Jos Buttler (Lancashire); Bryson Carse (Durham); Zak Crawley (Kent); Sam Curran (Surrey); Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire); Liam Livingstone (Lancashire); Ollie Pope (Surrey); Matthew Potts (Durham); Adil Rashid (Yorkshire); Josh Tongue (Nottinghamshire from 1 November); Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

England One-Year Central Contracts: Moeen Ali (Warwickshire); James Anderson (Lancashire); Ben Foakes (Surrey); Jack Leach (Somerset); Dawid Malan (Yorkshire); Ollie Robinson (Sussex); Ben Stokes (Durham); Reece Topley (Surrey)

England Development Contracts: Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire); Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire); John Turner (Hampshire)

Nothing for Dan Lawrence ...

Offline dazedpenguin

Re: Central contracts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 05:42:21 PM »
I'm just surprised Jimmy didn't insist on a 3 year contract!

Dan is an interesting omission. He may have turned down a contract to pursue franchise gigs of course, but he was the next batter in line for most of the summer. Not Essex's problem any more of course, but I'd like to see him get more chances.

Sam Cook seems to be further down the pecking order with the emergence of Tongue, Turner and Atkinson. But with their respective injury records, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call up before too long.

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 10:44:57 AM »
Well, a bunch of ageing crocks getting a nice payout for the next couple of years.  Huge bias towards certain clubs, but I am pleased to see the likes of Turner getting some support.

I’m guessing there is a fear that certain big names would disappear off to franchise cricket permanently, which has caused the allocation to those who perhaps ought now to be pensioned off.

Indeed, maybe we’d be better to put more of the money into development contracts, as I suspect most of the first choice players are getting past their peak and there ARE a number of promising youngsters out there on the county circuit.

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 11:00:00 AM »
Well, a bunch of ageing crocks getting a nice payout for the next couple of years.  Huge bias towards certain clubs, but I am pleased to see the likes of Turner getting some support.

I’m guessing there is a fear that certain big names would disappear off to franchise cricket permanently, which has caused the allocation to those who perhaps ought now to be pensioned off.

Indeed, maybe we’d be better to put more of the money into development contracts, as I suspect most of the first choice players are getting past their peak and there ARE a number of promising youngsters out there on the county circuit.

Like my boy!

The Mark Wood contract is very bad business. Regularly crocked, how many games has he won for England over his already long career?

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 11:06:49 AM »

Like my boy!

The Mark Wood contract is very bad business. Regularly crocked, how many games has he won for England over his already long career?
I was very surprised to see Mark Wood given a 3 year deal.
Great bowler, but it would never surprise me to see him have a career-ending injury at any time.

IMHO Little Chef's time will come soon after Jimmy calls it a day. Or the selectors pension him off.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 03:51:17 PM »

Like my boy!

Sadly will never gain. that Test cap. The bazball set up has become a close shop brigade. The current bowling coaches are only interested in the  golden extra yard deliveries, hence their selections .
  On a positive side, the countries loss is are gain.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 04:24:06 PM »

Like my boy!

Sadly will never gain. that Test cap. The bazball set up has become a close shop brigade. The current bowling coaches are only interested in the  golden extra yard deliveries, hence their selections .
  On a positive side, the countries loss is are gain.

To complement Anderson and Broad, when Anderson finally goes then that could be a bit different.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:17 PM »

Like my boy!

Without him we'd have lost the Ashes in the summer. That alone makes him a worthy recipient of the payout.

I'm also glad they've given Turner a financial nudge. He'll be a regular in all formats for England within the next three years. The biggest mistake is not giving Jacks a deal and cutting Moeen loose.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 05:47:00 AM »
The bazball set up has become a close shop brigade. The current bowling coaches are only interested in the  golden extra yard deliveries, hence their selections .

Matty Potts has a 2 year contract. Not express pace. Good bowler, but any better than Little Chef?

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 05:13:13 PM »
The bazball set up has become a close shop brigade. The current bowling coaches are only interested in the  golden extra yard deliveries, hence their selections .

Matty Potts has a 2 year contract. Not express pace. Good bowler, but any better than Little Chef?

The selectors seem to think so. So the real question is what is Little Chef going to do about it ?