Author Topic: Windies 2022  (Read 1340 times)

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
Windies 2022
« on: January 22, 2022, 10:54:14 PM »
The worlds top ranked T20 side, get a top ranked defeat, in the first ODI ( Not sure how the ICC can rank England has the top country when they even  failed to reach the 2021 final only a few months before ).
Game over after the first power play with England bringing  their recent batting displays in Australia to the Caribbean.  The top order getting out after hitting a boundary was par for the course, with the tail wagging to creep pass hundred.
Salute the Windies who bowled and fielded well, then picked them off.
Wonder what the BBC correspondent thought of this performance, let’s blame the Hundred. 

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: Windies 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 10:59:38 PM »
Great comment on the BBC live reporting England 26 for 4:

"Anthony: Well I’m glad we’ve sacrificed red-ball cricket for this."

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 01:14:42 PM »

Someone also said ‘can we blame the hundred for this?’

Feels very much like football, when the players decide to down tools in order to get rid of a manager.  A few teacups need throwing me thinks.

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 01:40:49 PM »

Feels very much like football, when the players decide to down tools in order to get rid of a manager.  ...

IIRC it also happens in Further/Higher Ed.  ;)

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:51:54 PM »
It is the nature of this format that some days the swiping comes off and other times it does not. That is why I find it a tedious variation of the game.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:27:26 AM »
 Well, Blighty are level, but only just . With a comfortable thirty needed in the last over, and the ninth pair at the wicket, only just scraped through with eight off the final ball, ( if bowled legally).
Topley jnr made his first appearance for England for eons, and bowled very impressively. Should have got two wickets but before reviewing his potentially second, ran him out.
A learning curve still for Capt Morgan in trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff of the perennials trying to make a claim to the squad .

Offline Andy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 01:08:48 PM »

Feels very much like football, when the players decide to down tools in order to get rid of a manager.  ...

IIRC it also happens in Further/Higher Ed.  ;)

But no one cares...

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
  A coconut shay of a game. Wonder if this match had the highest of boundary runs as per match run total ? Windies finally got everything perfect. A wonder innings by Powell to get Windies to a total in the stratosphere. To there credit, England had a brave attempt in chasing such a total. Banton and Salt particularly having a decent knocks considering the pressure of the chase.
 The runs where there, but the total was somewhere else .

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 10:40:02 AM »
It might have been a lot closer had Livingstone not been ill (and played anyway). Topley has been impressive so far and bowled with good pace, but I hope Garton gets another game this series and puts in a performance to let him forget that debut. Another bowler went for 64 on his T20I debut, some bloke called Anderson. I wonder what happened to him…

Offline Slogger

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 05:00:45 PM »
Topley, if he had more luck with injuries, would have been an integral part of the England attack in Australia rather than bowling in short form games. I suppose T20/100 is more lucrative but he'll not play in a Boxing Day test at Melbourne now. I think Essex dodged a bit of a bullet with him.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 08:08:23 AM »
Topley, if he had more luck with injuries, would have been an integral part of the England attack in Australia rather than bowling in short form games. I suppose T20/100 is more lucrative but he'll not play in a Boxing Day test at Melbourne now. I think Essex dodged a bit of a bullet with him.

In a pre match interview with Mark Butcher, Topley stated that having played a season of red ball at Surrey, he is available for any format in the England set up.

Capt  Morgan now unavailable for the rest of the series, will now Moen step up to the plate, having avoided a trashing in the coconut shay game with only bowling one over and batting for two deliveries, while his great mate Rashid has been has usual exceptional.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:13:45 AM by bwildered »

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 08:02:28 AM »
Tremendous effort by England to level the series and all to play for in the final game, with Captain Ali leading the way with runs and wickets. The spinners took control after the power play and the Windies soon got behind the run chase, with finally 38 required off the final over.
Probably Englands best all round performance to date in all formats this winter. Need to be in there Sunday best again however to win the coconut shay of boundaries in this festival of a Caribbean ODI series.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 08:17:56 AM »
 No Sunday best to win after levelling the series the previous night. The bowlers kept the score down to a realistic score, with national treasure  Rashid again a cut above the other bowlers, and with Topley jnr also having a impressive  series. However the batsmen got in then left the tail to do the hard earn task of seeing it over the line.
Brilliant Windies cricketer Jason  Holder took four in four to blow away the tail with to many needed in the final over .
Conclusion on the series, Topley has staked a claim to a later in the year World Cup places with most others showing  glimpses rather than enough consistency.
Personally got board with the long/short boundary scenario of every over and (sorry) the constant sixes .
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:15:44 AM by bwildered »

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 10:34:27 AM »
Rashid is an artist at work.

Topley must be in the T20 World Cup squad if he's fit. Mills didn't have a great series, but he's still a better option than most of the alternatives. Let's just hope Archer is fit, otherwise the death bowling could be a catastrophe again. I wouldn't write off Mahmood just yet though, just see how he responds to being smashed everywhere.

5 matches on the same ground made for a slightly tedious series I thought, Holder's bowling and Powell's innings the other night being exceptions.

Offline nat

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 12:27:52 PM »
Rashid is an artist at work.

Topley must be in the T20 World Cup squad if he's fit. Mills didn't have a great series, but he's still a better option than most of the alternatives. Let's just hope Archer is fit, otherwise the death bowling could be a catastrophe again. I wouldn't write off Mahmood just yet though, just see how he responds to being smashed everywhere.

5 matches on the same ground made for a slightly tedious series I thought, Holder's bowling and Powell's innings the other night being exceptions.

Don't care. On with the proper cricket.