Author Topic: Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts  (Read 2002 times)

Offline squarelegumpire

Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 02:37:14 PM »
Can clearly recall the announcer at Durham being unable to pronounce Ryan ten Doeschate’s  name and giving some garble ‘because I’ve no idea what his name is’!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:25:13 PM by mawallace »

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 06:33:20 PM »
Well I certainly didn't know 'Kevin' was a generic term for a BAME person. I've only heard it used generically recently for someone who didn't seem very bright, but I thought then, and think now that it was silly.

I know a few people who were christened/named (whatever) Kevin and they were, I think, all ethnic majority, and some were bright and some less so, but so are the David and Johns that I've met. Might used differently in Zimbabwe, where Ballance originally came from, but I don't think I've ever discussed names with people from that country.
I've not heard "Kevin" used as a nickname at all.
Back in the 70s the none-too-bright were often referred to as "Brian" (which Private Eye used as Prince Charles' nickname.) No idea where this came from.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:25:20 PM by mawallace »

Offline Andy

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 06:54:02 PM »
Well I certainly didn't know 'Kevin' was a generic term for a BAME person. I've only heard it used generically recently for someone who didn't seem very bright, but I thought then, and think now that it was silly.

I know a few people who were christened/named (whatever) Kevin and they were, I think, all ethnic majority, and some were bright and some less so, but so are the David and Johns that I've met. Might used differently in Zimbabwe, where Ballance originally came from, but I don't think I've ever discussed names with people from that country.
Back in the 70s the none-too-bright were often referred to as "Brian" (which Private Eye used as Prince Charles' nickname.) No idea where this came from.

Hey! They also used to call me Brian at schoo…oh dear :(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:25:30 PM by mawallace »

Offline nat

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »

Hey! They also used to call me Brian at schoo…oh dear :(

that would explain why you never played cricket for England.

Or did you?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:25:37 PM by mawallace »

Offline nat

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 07:41:39 PM »
You may have heard this story before...
In the aftermath of the Falklands war the British troops got to call the locals by a nickname - 'Bennies'. This name was derived from the character on the TV show Crossroads who was a bit simple. The Army top brass got to hear about the nickname and thought it would be bad for Army-islander relations. So they issued a decree banning the use of the nickname.

Some time later one of the top brass was on a visit to the Falklands and overheard a soldier calling an islander 'Stills'. The top brass was puzzled so asked the soldier why he had called the islander by this name.

The reply was; simple sir, 'Still Bennies'.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:25:44 PM by mawallace »

Offline Andy

Re: Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »
You don’t need to be an expert in semiotics to understand how particular terms acquire a particular nefarious  connotation. 

…and to answer Nats question no I only played for England in my dreams, combined with the physio’s role for the Dutch women’s hockey team.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 08:54:09 PM »
 Nobody can now change the past, which does not admit it was right or wrong, but can only ensure it does not happen in future, however strong or correct  the claims. Personally but with no proof, cannot believe only two counties at present have been named with such claims.
Unfortunately even how much we wish, some people whatever the creed, are more talented and strong willed than others, which makes the world go round, not just in cricket, but in all forms and paths of life.
I have always supported the club, whoever  pulled on the sweater disregard of background, and hoped they succeed, and I am sure others  did also, unaware of their circumstances and never considered the consequences in reaching careers in cricket, successful or otherwise .

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:35:09 AM by bwildered »

Offline nat

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »
not two counties, Somerset, Middx, Notts, Northants also in the frame so far.

Offline nat

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 09:41:57 PM »
Rafiq has had to apologise again just now, for an Instagram post. Social Media, the gift that keeps on giving.

Offline Andy

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 09:04:27 AM »
Tim Paine has stepped down as Aussie Test skipper because of historical texts. It gets worse (for England, Paine’s presence was our only hope).

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 11:11:50 AM »
Someone clearly has an agenda for taking down as many people as possible. When will this move to other sports?

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 11:36:44 AM »
I wait for the time that someone says something about the culture in a newspaper's offices. Private Eye can be quite revealing about the sort of abuse handed out.
To be fair, rarely seems to be racist as such. Just generally foul-mouthed and abusive, the sort of thing that causes people at cricket matches to move away from the chap who is speaking.

Offline Andy

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 01:35:18 PM »
Someone clearly has an agenda for taking down as many people as possible. When will this move to other sports?

I suspect the Chinese. At this rate they'll walk the World T20 next year...

Offline nat

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 01:12:16 PM »
More revelations about AR in the Yorkshire Post.

Offline Andy

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »
More revelations about AR in the Yorkshire Post.

Note the BBC hasn’t picked up on it.  Messes up the heroic narrative.