Author Topic: Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts  (Read 2002 times)

Offline LeedsExile

Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts
« on: November 12, 2021, 06:59:37 PM »
According to the grockles forum the Mail are going to run a story this weekend trying to discredit Rafiq's character. It seems this is turning into a full scale battle.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:23:09 PM by mawallace »

Offline nat

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 07:45:20 PM »
According to the grockles forum the Mail are going to run a story this weekend trying to discredit Rafiq's character. It seems this is turning into a full scale battle.

I've heard alleged gambling debts. Let's go to war.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:23:29 PM by mawallace »

Offline essexspur

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
On every level racism is abhorrent but what never ceases to amaze me is how moronic the racists are and how they think it’s acceptable and funny. Someone throws a banana. That person has thought ‘I know what I’ll do. I’ll get a banana and throw it at my black colleague’. Whoever it was has the brain of an amoeba. Other players were laughing at the jokes but, hold on, none of them are in the slightest bit funny - they never were. Racists are always cowards. They only do it when there is safety in numbers and always say ‘I’m not racist, a lot of my friends are black’. They have created an environment of fear and bullying; they have sullied the reputation of a cricket club that I love and has given me so my wonderful moments. They are utter filth and deserve to be hunted out and outed. Now we will see lots of suspicion and finger pointing. Did it really happen? It’s their word against mine? It wasn’t that bad. It’s only banter. People will be afraid to speak out. Some will be afraid to contribute to discussions fearing they may ‘say the wrong thing’. All of this created by morons who are abusing people because of the colour of their skin. It absolutely beggars belief. Make life simple - just treat everyone with respect. The cricket world now thinks that our club is racist. Well thanks very much you sad, moronic idiots.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:23:37 PM by mawallace »

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »
well I learned something new today. Calling someone 'Kevin' is racist.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:23:47 PM by mawallace »

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »
For some context.

From Azeem's testimony:

“Kevin” was something Ballance used to describe anyone of colour, says Rafiq. This was widely known, he adds. He says Alex Hales, Ballance’s friend and teammate, went on to name his dog “Kevin”, because the dog was black.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:23:56 PM by mawallace »

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
Well I certainly didn't know 'Kevin' was a generic term for a BAME person. I've only heard it used generically recently for someone who didn't seem very bright, but I thought then, and think now that it was silly.

I know a few people who were christened/named (whatever) Kevin and they were, I think, all ethnic majority, and some were bright and some less so, but so are the David and Johns that I've met. Might used differently in Zimbabwe, where Ballance originally came from, but I don't think I've ever discussed names with people from that country.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:04 PM by mawallace »

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 04:05:07 PM »
I’ve not heard of a Kevin but it has certainly become common for some women to be called Karen and I have heard it used a few times recently.

Karen is a pejorative term for a white woman perceived as entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is normal. The term is a meme depicting white women who use their privilege to demand their own way.

I dare say nothing will happen about this.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:11 PM by mawallace »

Offline nat

Re: John Faragher Resigns
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »
Another amusement was 'biffer' Bresnan calling out someone else as fat!

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 07:29:14 PM »
Well I certainly didn't know 'Kevin' was a generic term for a BAME person. I've only heard it used generically recently for someone who didn't seem very bright, but I thought then, and think now that it was silly.

I know a few people who were christened/named (whatever) Kevin and they were, I think, all ethnic majority, and some were bright and some less so, but so are the David and Johns that I've met. Might used differently in Zimbabwe, where Ballance originally came from, but I don't think I've ever discussed names with people from that country.

Its not.

Rafiq says Ballance used it as a name for BAME at Yorks, and was know of in England dressing room. Its not a generic term at all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:19 PM by mawallace »

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 10:22:35 AM »

I reckon calling someone Steve must also be racist too as another thing Rafiq was complaining about was that Jack Brooks referred to Pujara as “Steve” rather than use his first name Cheteshwar. Hell fire, are nicknames no longer allowed for anyone?!!!…..or are  they only not allowed for “certain” people? ☹️☹️
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:26 PM by mawallace »

Offline neil

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »

I reckon calling someone Steve must also be racist too as another thing Rafiq was complaining about was that Jack Brooks referred to Pujara as “Steve” rather than use his first name Cheteshwar. Hell fire, are nicknames no longer allowed for anyone?!!!…..or are  they only not allowed for “certain” people? ☹️☹️

Wasn't that because Brooks couldn't say the name Cheteshwar so decided to call him Steve. Pujara himself said he would have preferred to be addressed as Cheteshwar

Not sure that's the same as a nickname and I don't think it's unreasonable to respect a person's view on what they are called.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:33 PM by mawallace »

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
This really is a minefield. Over the years people(probably mainly white) have anglicised many asian names to make it easier for them. I suspect but do not know that most treated this as ok as it was not meant offensively. For example Sunil Gavaskar willingly answers to Sunny and there are countless other examples. You cannot treat every case as being a racist insult.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:41 PM by mawallace »

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 12:09:51 PM »

Its not.

Rafiq says Ballance used it as a name for BAME at Yorks, and was know of in England dressing room. Its not a generic term at all.

Must be true then if that’s what Rafiq says.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:49 PM by mawallace »

Offline JasonP

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 12:59:05 PM »
This really is a minefield. Over the years people(probably mainly white) have anglicised many asian names to make it easier for them. I suspect but do not know that most treated this as ok as it was not meant offensively. For example Sunil Gavaskar willingly answers to Sunny and there are countless other examples. You cannot treat every case as being a racist insult.

VVS Laxman is the obvious comparison.  His full name is Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman.  I've never heard anyone, Indian or otherwise call him anything other than VVS.  Is he offended by that?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:24:56 PM by mawallace »

Offline neil

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 01:20:48 PM »

VVS Laxman is the obvious comparison.  His full name is Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman.  I've never heard anyone, Indian or otherwise call him anything other than VVS.  Is he offended by that?

Did he choose it for himself?  I doubt he is offended by it but isn't it a bit different calling someone by their initials - as opposed to a generic name from another country!

IIRC his "nickname" was Very Very Special... ;D ;D

I used to play (I use the word loosely) hockey for Ilford. It was many moons ago and there were a number of Asian players at the club. We had two youngsters in our team - one introduced himself as "Charlie" and was quite happy to be called that. The other guy was Satish - he wanted to be called Satish and we, of course, respected that. There is no way we would have called all the Asian players by the same name - as it appears Yorkshire/Gary Ballance did

I do agree it is difficult in some cases - but, as I said, I think the Yorkshire players should have addressed Pujara as Cheteshwar if that's what he wanted.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:25:03 PM by mawallace »