Author Topic: Membership numbers up  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Slogger

Membership numbers up
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »
I see from the Essex Cricket website that membership numbers are up, with around 3700 members signed up already. That's good news.

I wonder how that compares to the glory years of the 1980s and early 1990s? I recollect Peter Edwards talking about closing membership at one point because if everyone turned up they wouldn't all get in!

Offline nat

Re: Membership numbers up
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
In the early 1980s the membership count got to around 9000 and there was talk of setting up a waiting list. Happy days.

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
Are these 'real' members - or is this another Labour Party-type scenario, when people spend £3 on a 'associate' member role (most of whom are K#nt supporters).

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »
Are these 'real' members - or is this another Labour Party-type scenario, when people spend £3 on a 'associate' member role (most of whom are K#nt supporters).

I'll ignore the opportunity to join in the badinage and address the significant point. 3700 includes all types of member including juniors who pay next to nothing and may/may not attend a single game (parents buy membership as a Christmas present). It will be interesting to see the final total, say by the end of May. There must be thousands of junior players at Essex clubs, they should be targeted for membership. Then the only issue would be to get them to attend games.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »

Apparently in the past some Kent fans did take advantage of Essex membership to get reciprocal rights.  ;D

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

Apparently in the past some Kent fans did take advantage of Essex membership to get reciprocal rights.  ;D

At least Brexit will stop them crossing over en masse (the Dartford Crossing, that is).