Author Topic: Joe Root.  (Read 912 times)

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
Joe Root.
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:54:01 PM »
 Joe Root is now England's second highest Test run scorer, passing Graham Gooch’s total of 8900. Only Sir Chef now to chase .

Offline nat

Re: Joe Root.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 04:58:37 PM »
Decent player.

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »
Decent player.

At least he doesn't wave his bat around his head like a demented Mulan... Which explains the collapse of Hameed's promising career.

Offline Perov

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:07:44 AM »
Well done, a good player, but don't forget Gooch had a  3 year Test ban, in his prime, which curtailed his overall total.

Offline Andy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
Well done, a good player, but don't forget Gooch had a  3 year Test ban, in his prime, which curtailed his overall total.

Yes and Gooch played a lot more for his county.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »

No one made.him go to South Africa.

Offline Andy

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 09:05:26 AM »

No one made.him go to South Africa.

True.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
I had forgotten this but am currently reading Dennis Amiss's book. Gooch declined a tour to Australia to spend time with his young family so another 5 tests missed there.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 10:12:44 AM »
 Let’s not forget, except for the very start of his Test career, opened the batting. Although his decision to go on the rebel tour to the Saffers, faced some top quality bowling over there.
 Root has established himself for the past few seasons has  by far the best batsman we possess at Test level, and  at present looks likely to continue for some time, has others still lack essentials to even keep places in the side.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 10:27:58 AM »
It will be interesting how Root reacts to losing the captaincy after the ritual humiliation in Australia in the winter. ;)

Offline Andy

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »
I had forgotten this but am currently reading Dennis Amiss's book. Gooch declined a tour to Australia to spend time with his young family so another 5 tests missed there.

Then walked out on his family a few years later.  We didn’t miss him on that tour.

Offline nat

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 04:14:30 PM »

Then walked out on his family a few years later.  We didn’t miss him on that tour.
Heh I do the judgemental stuff on this forum, OK?

Offline Andy

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 10:03:00 AM »

Heh I do the judgemental stuff on this forum, OK?

Sorry, Dad.