Author Topic: Irani troubles  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
Re: Irani troubles
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »

Get rid of Irani.

Says the bloke who was happy with Larry.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2021, 12:05:39 PM »

I find this all very troubling, as Ronnie has clearly dragged us to where none of us could have dreamt again but then if the likes of Cook are against him it could tear the heart out of the club and set us back decades.

Ronnie has dragged us back has he?  Seems highly dismissive of the playing and coaching staff.

Get rid of Irani.  Has always come across as an egotistic, what’s in it it for me man since his retirement to me.  Even listening to his stint on TalkSport he seemed all about the freebies.

Well correlation is not causation, but his return coincided with a shakeup and massive improvement. He stated we were under performing and basically said Grayson was failing and for far to long, and he seemed to be the one who got rid finally, and the rest is history. Likewise more in the know souls such as George Dobell gave him huge credit for the turnaround, so imagine he must have done something right but to what extent we don't know how much has been down to him.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »

Well correlation is not causation

No such thing as coincidence.

Ronnie in, Larry out was the beginning of the revival.

We've currently got a captain who is averaging about 10 with the bat.

Boot up the backside was needed.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »

No such thing as coincidence.

So thousands of conspiracy theorists tell us.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2021, 07:52:48 PM »
His position was untenable ... went beyond his brief and seemed to want to claim all the success was down to him.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
His position was untenable ... went beyond his brief and seemed to want to claim all the success was down to him.

At least there was success to claim.

I wish him well on the after dinner circuit.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2021, 03:58:16 PM »
Sad ending for the guy who has given about 25 years to the club. Ex players that come back to serve the club further though have to remember once they have left the dressing room, they have left the dressing room.

Offline nat

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2021, 04:03:49 PM »
Sad ending for the guy who has given about 25 years to the club. Ex players that come back to serve the club further though have to remember once they have left the dressing room, they have left the dressing room.

Yep his own worst enemy. Always wore his heart on his sleeve which is ok as a player but not so great as a leader.

Offline Andy

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2021, 06:31:17 PM »
At the risk of repeating myself. Doesn't Big Ronnie's firm sponsor the club???

Offline Mog

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/essex/ronnie_irani_stands_down_essex_board.html?fbclid=IwAR0Xa89Jda0uldey_78jdMh9OcVJv8lgVCIvoaR1Ny6FD6bIJxdAlOFkjoY

I've just seen this, thanks Neil.

Hopefully, this brings the final curtain down on the involvement of Irani in ECCC.
The misty eyed mythologising attributed to this individual never ceases to make me smile. The reality is somewhat different.
For someone with such an over-inflated ego it must have been a huge wrench.

Offline Mog

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »

There's a simple solution to that, politely advise the company, thank them for their support, but tell them ECCC are looking to move in a different direction.
I recognise finance is tight in the County cricket circuit, but I'd doubt the sponsorship from whoever this company are amounts to more than a couple of grand....

I'd be confident that with Irani out of the picture, other sponsors may be encouraged.

Offline Andy

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »

There's a simple solution to that, politely advise the company, thank them for their support, but tell them ECCC are looking to move in a different direction.
I recognise finance is tight in the County cricket circuit, but I'd doubt the sponsorship from whoever this company are amounts to more than a couple of grand....

I'd be confident that with Irani out of the picture, other sponsors may be encouraged.

I don’t disagree with you mog.  Maybe other sponsors can be found, but the club may have become too close to RI.  Personally I could see this sort of thing happening back when he came in back in 2016: I’m surprised and glad that it didn’t back then, otherwise the club’s 20 year decline could have been terminal.

Offline Mog

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 05:17:19 PM »

I don’t disagree with you mog.  Maybe other sponsors can be found, but the club may have become too close to RI.  Personally I could see this sort of thing happening back when he came in back in 2016: I’m surprised and glad that it didn’t back then, otherwise the club’s 20 year decline could have been terminal.

I completely agree on that point, Andy. To me it demonstrates once again ECCC's poor governance and management structure over two decades and longer, in terms of the continual reference and employment of former players - the majority of whom have remained unqualified for whatever role the Club has 'invented' for them. This surely requires a rather more professional approach.
I can completely understand Gooch and Fletcher's roles - pivotal in the Clubs' migration, attainment and maintenance of success until the early nineties.
However, I'd struggle to think of any success that Irani was responsible for - in fact quite the opposite. Disharmony, infighting and the departure of players who had had enough of his 'leadership', which ironically maintained the miraculous rise of medicorities such as Grayson.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:23:07 PM by Mog »