Author Topic: Irani troubles  (Read 5560 times)

Offline hufflepuff

Irani troubles
« on: August 19, 2021, 04:19:19 PM »
Interesting story posted today
https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/118649/ronnie-irani-steps-down-as-essex-chairman-after-internal-spat
Ronnie Irani abruptly left his post as chair of Essex's cricket committee after a number of senior players, including club captain Tom Westley, as well as coach Anthony McGrath, told the club's hierarchy that there had been a breakdown in trust and that they would consider their futures unless a change was made.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
Re: Irani troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
Reading between the lines it sounds like Westley & Co didn't like a rocket.

Say what you will about Irani but he really was a fighter.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 06:46:50 PM »
He has seemed a bit 'hands on' in some of the forums - claiming all the successes are down to him.

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 06:59:02 PM »
 I've never been a fan of Ronnie as captain, but some important positive decisions were made when he became involved 5 years ago. Part of me thinks that he may have a point: apparently there was a discipline problem under Law/Pritchard that Ronnie called out.

Also the heavy involvement of other ex captains who were hanging around during those problematic years makes me worry that history is repeating.

Ironically Fletcher was a supporter of Ronnie back then - perhaps he works on the basis of supporting the incumbent skipper right or wrong?  On the other hand, Ronnie comes from the North. They are never bashful about their achievements.

Still, maybe time to get some new blood in at the top.

Offline nat

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
Everyone has a shelf life and big Ron probably has a shorter shelf life than most.

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
Everyone has a shelf life and big Ron probably has a shorter shelf life than most.

I wonder how long his orthosoles last?

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 08:01:58 AM »
I liked Irani as a player but since his retirement it has become obvious that he is a “what’s in it for me” man.
Additionally if there is a coach who has been reporting back to him and telling tales then he should be removed as well.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
 Wondered what was occurring when during the recent AGM every question submitted for Ronnie was fended off with the prickly reply of ask the Coach and Captain .
 Seems things are not so harmonious has the Chairman portrays.

Offline nat

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 09:30:53 AM »
As in everything there is a way of doing things and RI may well be correct with many of the issues. There is a need to oversee the functioning of the team but it would require a sensitive touch.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
I liked Irani as a player but since his retirement it has become obvious that he is a “what’s in it for me” man.
Additionally if there is a coach who has been reporting back to him and telling tales then he should be removed as well.

What about the players that were telling tales to the journalist in question?  Should they be removed too?

Offline Mog

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Very interesting.
So, what has upset the great ego, Irani? The sub-optimum performance of the players? Of course, no players ever under-performed when Irani was captain!  ::)

Was it that JPS is the new Chief Exec.? Has he failed to get enough of his buddies appointed to Club roles?
Maybe it's because the Club have finally dispensed with his services...a full twenty years after he should have been stripped of the captaincy.

I'm disappointed, although not at all surprised that ECCC tried to explain this away by some media-friendly fairy story about his booming business commitments making it not possible for him to continue with his committee role. I'd have a lot more respect for the Club if he; Irani was actually called out for what sounds like behaviour incompatible with his position.
Inexplicably, there continues to be a reluctance to call out his behaviour, when in this case by doing so they would be implicitly stating that they are backing their players and coach.

I’d be equally interested to see if any of those affected by this alleged behaviour have brought a case under bullying and harassment at work? That could prove to be highly embarrassing for the Club. Is Irani's ex-role counted as a Club officer - and therefore management? I'd suggest it was.

Offline Mog

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »

Ironically Fletcher was a supporter of Ronnie back then - perhaps he works on the basis of supporting the incumbent skipper right or wrong?  On the other hand, Ronnie comes from the North. They are never bashful about their achievements.

It was widely alleged at the time that Fletcher wrote down Irani's field placings and bowling changes for him, prior to each session of play.
Frankly, Andy, their time together as captain and coach was a unmitigated disaster, culminating in the infamous 2001 season.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:28:11 AM by Mog »

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 11:27:10 AM »
Does it also explain why contracts supposedly 'on the table' have not been signed?

Offline Andy

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »

It was widely alleged at the time that Fletcher wrote down Irani's field placings and bowling changes for him, prior to each session of play.
Frankly, Andy, their time together as captain and coach was a unmitigated disaster, culminating in the infamous 2001 season.

Don't disagree with the last point. It reminds me when I read Nasser's autobiography about the situation then. Basically the Irani/Fletcher vs Law/Pritchard discord broke out once the team stopped being successful.

Offline nat

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »
The old adage  - Team spirit is a myth perpetuated only by success.