Author Topic: 2nd Test  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Andy

Re: 2nd Test
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2023, 03:12:17 PM »
As much as it pains me to say this, Bairstow was at fault (again) although it may have been better for the Aussies if Carey’s throw had missed.  Better remove any identification from the team bus, mate.

Offline nat

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2023, 03:23:48 PM »
As much as it pains me to say this, Bairstow was at fault (again) although it may have been better for the Aussies if Carey’s throw had missed.  Better remove any identification from the team bus, mate.

Yep going to be even more lively on the Western Terrace next week.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2023, 04:04:59 PM »

Learning when the ball is 'dead' is one of the first things to learn - the umpire had not called 'over'.

Offline Andy

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2023, 04:11:34 PM »
What a disappointment Bairstow has been.  All those dropped catches and losing his head when we needed calm offsetting one decent innings in the first test.

Still, Ben Foakes ought to get a run in the side soon. Chris Woakes record at Lords was better than Jimmy’s too much jobs for the boys…we’re not going to win anything with Broad and Anderson clearly past it.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2023, 04:57:48 PM »
Blaise Bairstow, know your rules is part of your trade . There again there are plenty of others who do the same, a wake up call to all.
Would have been worse losing by the ten run partnership that the last two Aussies produced when neither ran ! Great test cricket .

Offline Andy

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2023, 05:23:34 PM »
Blaise Bairstow, know your rules is part of your trade . There again there are plenty of others who do the same, a wake up call to all.
Would have been worse losing by the ten run partnership that the last two Aussies produced when neither ran ! Great test cricket .

Try taking more tonic water with it ;)

Offline JasonP

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »
Lower stakes game, yes, but England chose not to appeal this 6 months ago.  What Wade did was far worse than anything Bairstow did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DufsotrdQaE

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2023, 06:26:22 PM »
 Remembered this . Ian Bell against India.
 Bell was involved in a controversial run out during the series. Believing the ball to be dead after reaching the boundary, Bell left the middle to head in for tea, however the ball had not actually crossed the boundary and was promptly thrown in by the fielder and the bails taken off. Initially given out, the Indians retracted their appeal at tea and Bell returned to carry on his innings straight after.

Another Bat who got sloppy with the rules and regs.

Much like some posters on this site !

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2023, 08:51:49 AM »
I was amazed how brilliantly Wood & Woakes bowled after zero red ball games to get match fit this season. An indication that their off-field training for the third Test has been very effective indeed?
On the other hand, there's a strong suspicion that our bowling/fitness prep has been sadly inadequate, as shown by our unacceptably large number of no-balls and Robinson's iffy fitness.
Hard to reconcile.

Offline nat

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2023, 11:12:45 AM »
I was amazed how brilliantly Wood & Woakes bowled after zero red ball games to get match fit this season. An indication that their off-field training for the third Test has been very effective indeed?
On the other hand, there's a strong suspicion that our bowling/fitness prep has been sadly inadequate, as shown by our unacceptably large number of no-balls and Robinson's iffy fitness.
Hard to reconcile.

More like that they're all grown-ups and must take ownership of their preparation. It seems some have taken better ownership than others. Robinson is in danger of throwing away the potential of a 10 year Test match career with all the corresponding financial reward.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2023, 01:07:26 PM »
I think this is the second test that Robinson hasn't finished due to injury and that in a relatively short career so far. He's a talented player, but England must be wondering about his future fitness.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2023, 04:00:01 PM »
I think this is the second test that Robinson hasn't finished due to injury and that in a relatively short career so far. He's a talented player, but England must be wondering about his future fitness.
Robinson says he's fully fit, but I'm surprised he's in the squad. We can't risk another session of him bowling medium pace poop, or him breaking down again.

Offline nat

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2023, 04:21:07 PM »
Robinson says he's fully fit, but I'm surprised he's in the squad. We can't risk another session of him bowling medium pace poop, or him breaking down again.
Robinson at his best is the best seam bowler in England. The problem is...