Author Topic: Coming to a ground near you?  (Read 10288 times)

Offline jwb

Coming to a ground near you?
« on: February 20, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
Surrey may not be one of the chosen venues after voting against the new format. Graves is upset and is threatening to go to Chelmsford or Bristol instead. Given I didn’t think we were that keen it all seems a bit odd.

Offline nat

Re: Coming to a ground near you?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »
Surrey may not be one of the chosen venues after voting against the new format. Graves is upset and is threatening to go to Chelmsford or Bristol instead. Given I didn’t think we were that keen it all seems a bit odd.

Don't believe it. Slurry will get a gig if only becuase they are too big not to. Graves will moan and whine, like all good yorkies do, then do a deal.

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:41 AM »

Don't believe it. Slurry will get a gig if only becuase they are too big not to. Graves will moan and whine, like all good yorkies do, then do a deal.

Nat's correct. Like Trump, there's huffing and puffing before the 'real deal' gets done.  If we win out over Slurrey for this farce, then I'll not only eat my hat but Nat's as well.

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »
It's a big hat ...for a big head.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:26:02 PM »
Thought we voted against as well?

Offline Blocky

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
We did, but if you knew we'd get a franchise, then I can guarantee we'd take the chance, because the club knows that actually, with an Essex based team, they can probably fill the ECG for another 8 games. 

I think that we voted against because we were unlikely to be considered and that we'd lose players elsewhere for the duration.  The "for the good of the game" stance was a very good cover!

The bigger issue though, is that you have to purchase the franchise....and I don't see us going overdrawn to do that....

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:17:16 PM »
If this report is true we will be involved in the Lord's side. So if that's the case can't see we will be hosting the 'Oval' side.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countycricket/the_hundred_mcc_middlesex_and_essex_chiefs_will_pick_players_and_coaches_for_lords_side.html

Offline nat

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
If this report is true we will be involved in the Lord's side. So if that's the case can't see we will be hosting the 'Oval' side.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countycricket/the_hundred_mcc_middlesex_and_essex_chiefs_will_pick_players_and_coaches_for_lords_side.html
Sad to see Essex actively taking part. I hope it crashes in flames.

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:45:41 PM »

Sad to see Essex actively taking part. I hope it crashes in flames.

Well, for our contribution, we could always recommend Dimitri and Larry...

Offline Slogger

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 05:19:32 PM »
I see the Big Bash have used outgrounds like Geelong and Alice Springs. Wouldn't surprise me if Chelmsford gets the odd game. I still think 6 teams based on 3 counties each with every county HQ getting at least one game a year would have been a better structure if we must have this tournament.

Offline jwb

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »
Those in favour 17 against 1
Well done Surrey this might get interesting.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:10 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47339454

These people will say anything to justify this twaddle.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
"It will be something that cricket fans all around the country will flock to see" - I thought this was supposed to be for a new audience, not us?  Changed his tune a bit, hasn't he?

Lynda

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
The comments are well worth a read - much better than the 'article/work of fiction'.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
Yes - there's not really a rush of comments in favour!

Lynda