Author Topic: Captain Cook  (Read 44205 times)

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
Captain Cook
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
Do you think Cook's refusal to give up the England captaincy is partly Essex's fault?

After all if Larry & Fozzy can get away with years of terrible leadership why shouldn't he?

Offline nat

Re: Captain Cook
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
Definitely not captaincy material, you need to a hard b*****d particularly to deal with delinquents like Broad and Anderson.

However, you can only smile when you hear and watch Botham criticise his captaincy. The only past England captain who can make Cook look good.

IanS

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
Definitely not captaincy material, you need to a hard b*****d particularly to deal with delinquents like Broad and Anderson.

However, you can only smile when you hear and watch Botham criticise his captaincy. The only past England captain who can make Cook look good.

I suggest you read up Boycott's (very) brief tenure! It makes Botham look like a master tactician.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
The only past England captain who can make Cook look good.

Boycott has admitted he was a bad captain who should have stuck solely to batting.

Maybe Cook should take heed.

Diatribe

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »
The only past England captain who can make Cook look good.

Aren't you forgetting Chris Cowdray?

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »
For all Cook's tactical deficiencies he has also been let down by his players, many of whom just haven't performed; Balance, Root & Moeen by & large have but Prior has been awful (how on earth has he been allowed to play with what appears to be an obvious long standing injury?), Bell has had a bad time at the same time as Ally. In seam bowling someone needs to tell/remind Anderson & Broad where to bowl ie not consistent bowl too short, Broad should be reminded that he is NOT an out & out fast bowler, concentrate on what he is best at.
On Talksport the other day Piers Morgan that cricket expert & The Ego's mouthpiece was spouting on about getting rid of Cook now. His solution? Bring back The Ego!! That shows you how much he knows & understands!!

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
Aren't you forgetting Chris Cowdray?

Chris Cowdery probably forgets about Chris Cowdery.

Offline Andy

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
Do you think its Cook making these poor judgement calls or simply being steamrollered by Broad/Andersen/Prior? The good ship England seems to be quite watertight, but I would expect a few more tabloid 'leaks' by now.

Diatribe

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
Do you think its Cook making these poor judgement calls or simply being steamrollered by Broad/Andersen/Prior? The good ship England seems to be quite watertight, but I would expect a few more tabloid 'leaks' by now.

I neither know or profess to know anything about cricket management, but common logic would tend to suggest that to dismiss a successful manager and reappoint a former manager who has already proven to be a failure was always destined for disaster.

At least with ECCC, over the past 20 yrs. they've only replaced one failure with another.

Offline Andy

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
I neither know or profess to know anything about cricket management, but common logic would tend to suggest that to dismiss a successful manager and reappoint a former manager who has already proven to be a failure was always destined for disaster.

At least with ECCC, over the past 20 yrs. they've only replaced one failure with another.

Firstly, given that we were falling apart before the 5-0 I think 'once successful' is a better term for AF. Secondly, has he really been dismissed, or simply moved upstairs - in itself a recipe for disaster for the replacement (think Moyes/Fergie).

Fact is, no one else wanted the England gig and we don't know to what extent it was KP & the other players who were culpable for the poor performances under Moores. I suspect that few of the big beasts of the team over the past 5 years will be playing international cricket come the start of the next Ashes series.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
Andy Flower is coaching the Lions so I'd say he's been moved sideways if anything.

Offline Andy

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Andy Flower is coaching the Lions so I'd say he's been moved sideways if anything.
Indeed? This expalins why Boppys in the Lions squad.

Offline nat

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
Andy Flower is living proof that great players don't always make great coaches/managers.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
Whereas Grayson is proof that average players make even worse coaches.

Offline Blocky

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Andy Flower is living proof that great players don't always make great coaches/managers.

I don't know..he did ok didn't he?