Author Topic: Dutch Fiasco: bye bye Giles?  (Read 8170 times)

Offline oldhasbeen

Dutch Fiasco: bye bye Giles?
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »
After England's wretched performance against the Dutch, can Giles really be given the job?

I know he has had some real issues to deal with - the injury list, for a start- and we were unlucky against the Kiwis, but let's face it, being bowled out for 88 against  a non-Test attack ..... what can I say?

Unfortunately, the alternatives aren't very many, or inspiring, but from what's on offer I'd prefer Tom Moody. What's they view of Essex fans?

Offline afinetickletoleg

Re: Dutch Fiasco: bye bye Giles?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
My view, as usual, is how much of this defeat is down to the coaching staff and how much is down to the decision making and performance of the players?

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
My view, as usual, is how much of this defeat is down to the coaching staff and how much is down to the decision making and performance of the players?

But, considering that so many of the T20 were different from the Test side, which also got thrashed...

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »

But, considering that so many of the T20 were different from the Test side, which also got thrashed...

The T20 coaching team is a lot different as well.  Maybe English players just lack the skills and mental toughness to compete at international level at the moment.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »

Grayson for England.

Two birds, one stone.

frank21

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
THERE IS AN UPSIDE
There is a whole netherlands team which essex could cherry pick for useful players which could be kolpaks. Essex via stansted/harwich is the netherlands local county. What do you think (i will start a new thread).

IanS

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Perehaps you could offer an answer to your own question?

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »

Jonathan Agnews' view is pertinent here: "England were simply dreadful, and it was galling to hear coach Ashley Giles and captain Stuart Broad putting the display down to complacency."
Full article at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/26825193

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »

The T20 coaching team is a lot different as well.  Maybe English players just lack the skills and mental toughness to compete at international level at the moment.

How do you explain the sudden turnaround in 2009, when the loss of skipper and coach saw us win the Ashes back????

Offline DT

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
Aggers has also said in the last few days on his BBC column that he thinks the England job isn't attractive these days and I think he's right....I mean who would want to take over this mess?!  No one has barely applied so we might as well give it to The King of Spain.

As for this latest fiasco, why on earth don't we select players who actually excel in t20's like Carberry, Kieswetter, Malan, Allenby, Topley, Willey, Briggs?!  These guys were all at the top of the t20 averages in 2013.  I mean what has Broad done to warrant selection in this format and as captain he hasn't a clue!!!

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
as captain he hasn't a clue!!!

Neither did Collingwood & he's one of the coaches now.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:42 PM »
as captain he hasn't a clue!!!

Neither did Collingwood & he's one of the coaches now.

He was the captain the only time we have ever won a world tournament.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:58 AM »
Maybe so but my abiding memory of him was not letting Fozzy stand up to medium papers in 2009.

& not playing Napier entirely.

tonk

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
Back where we were when Nasser took over-bring back Duncan Fletcher!!

Offline nat

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »
Told you Giles is wet, wet, wet. If the coach/manager has little effect on the performance of the team then why do we have one?

Didn't have them 30+years ago ...