Author Topic: T20 World Cup Squad  (Read 10600 times)

Offline afinetickletoleg

Re: T20 World Cup Squad
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
Good call.

I don't think that was tickle's intent but it would be funny if Grayson's card was well & truly marked as a result.

See, that is where you are very wrong.

If someone can come in and do a better job then I am all for it; all I am against is your boring one man crusade to introduce anti-Grayson abuse to every thread.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
all I am against is your boring one man crusade to introduce anti-Grayson abuse to every thread.

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.

eastsax

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »
all I am against is your boring one man crusade to introduce anti-Grayson abuse to every thread.

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.

IanS

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
Certainly Dernbach's neither use nor ornament at the beginning of an innings but he has on occasions bowled well at the death. Quite (prepares to run and hide) but Tim Phillips could be more useful than some of those selected.

I think Dernbach has kept his place because his T20 strike rate (16.4) has been so good. Only Swann, Finn, Sidebottom & Collingwood have done better for England. He also had a good series against Australia last summer. By contrast, his "economy" rate of 8.25 is poor and his reputation as a reliable bowler at the death is pretty suspect. Whenever I've seen him, he bowls a predictable excess of slower balls which, if they are not wides, get well and truly despatched. His stats of 7-0-92-1 in the first two T20s in Australia suggest that he has become easy meat he should be heading for the sunset, fast.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »
Reverting back to the original subject of the thread, Dernbach is the luckiest cricketer around to get into the final 15,apparently he has the worst economy rate (worldwide?) in both T20 & 50 overs, his discipline has also seen him dishing out the verbals to Cameron White recently despite White totally obliterating his bowling, incredibly he invited White outside to sort it out!!
How can he have been allowed to progress so far (& so badly)?
Clearly something needs to be done pdq, a good start would be to kick him out now!!

Offline Andy

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Reverting back to the original subject of the thread, Dernbach is the luckiest cricketer around to get into the final 15,apparently he has the worst economy rate (worldwide?) in both T20 & 50 overs, his discipline has also seen him dishing out the verbals to Cameron White recently despite White totally obliterating his bowling, incredibly he invited White outside to sort it out!!
Possibly Mr White would give the kick up the backside the Team England Mgt should've done years ago!

JD does have nice tattoos.

IanS

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
Clearly something needs to be done pdq, a good start would be to kick him out now!!

Just looked at the T20 bowling stats for the series.

Dernbach 11-1-104-2

Offline JasonP

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 09:00:08 AM »

Dernbach 11-1-104-2

It's hard to see why they keep picking him but I don't think he bowled that badly this series.  He had a couple of catches dropped of him and a few edges went to the boundary.  10 an over the times that he bowls in the first powerplay at the likes of Smith and Gayle and at the death to the likes of Sammy is actually about par for the course in those times.

tonk

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
More you look at stats you either need to be "pace off" or be able to bowl at 90mph+

Offline JasonP

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
More you look at stats you either need to be "pace off" or be able to bowl at 90mph+

That's part of it but the "pace off" bowlers were bowling during overs 7 to about 16 which is the time where the batsman were happy to consolidate.  It does seem to be the fast medium bowlers are the easiest to hit in a lot of these matches.

IanS

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »

Dernbach 11-1-104-2

It's hard to see why they keep picking him but I don't think he bowled that badly this series.  He had a couple of catches dropped of him and a few edges went to the boundary.  10 an over the times that he bowls in the first powerplay at the likes of Smith and Gayle and at the death to the likes of Sammy is actually about par for the course in those times.

Interesting analysis but my feeling is that dropped catches/edges (like dodgy umpiring decisions) even themselves out. 10 an over is just about acceptable if you are taking wickets.

If you are bowling at the death when batsmen are taking the greatest risks, you should be picking up more wickets than Dernbach is getting. Historically, he had a good strike rate but he is going backwards, fast. Combining the WI series with the recent T20 series in Australia, 6 matches in all,  Dernbach's figures are 22-1-235-2, that's a strike rate of 66....before that his strike rate was 16.

With all the video analysis available to coaches, opponents know that his much-vaunted variations consist largely of slow, wide balls, down the off-side, especially at the death.

I'll admit that there is not a lot of competition for Dernbach's place but if Bopara can outbowl him time and time again, the selectors need to rethink the structure of the team.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
Dernbach looked a much better option than Bresnan, Stokes and even Broad ( though he was half fit).  Hard to compare to Ravi, the pitch suited him a lot more and he bowled in the easier times.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
Stokes hasn’t had a good time at all, has he.

IanS

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
Dernbach looked a much better option than Bresnan, Stokes and even Broad ( though he was half fit).  Hard to compare to Ravi, the pitch suited him a lot more and he bowled in the easier times.

If you review the stats for the last two T20 series, it's inescapable that Dernbach was the weakest link, however good he may have looked; not that I like tattoos myself.

Offline nat

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Stokes hasn’t had a good time at all, has he.

Oh I don't know ...
he is only 22-23yo, already had one ban from a tour, now injured himself punching a dressing room locker! More and more looking like the new Botham!