Author Topic: England shambles  (Read 21664 times)

Offline IlfordEagle

Re: England shambles
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Certainly The Ego has to be dropped now - yet another poor shot selection, playing to the gallery & trying (unsuccessfully) to show he can hit the ball harder than anyone else!!
Prior has gone to pot almost totally(his wicketkeeping was back down to his previously low standards as well as his batting), he needs  a kick up the backside, Swann & Anderson were clearly targeted by the Aussies & they succeeded. The whole fielding performance was lamentable & they clearly lacked leadership on & off the field, the only bright notes were Carberry who batted quite well although he needs a big score, Stokes has done ok although his bowling needs to improve, Root also is worth persevering with .
Saying all that I am not really sure who to replace them with at present, the transition will take some time but these are worrying times for England.

Offline nat

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Unfortunately Carberry is not the answer. A good county player but 33yo and lacks a bit of quality when batting.

Offline DT

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 10:39:10 PM »
Would I want Andy Flower as our coach - no way!!!  Would rather keep Larry in charge.

I think Grant would be a better choice and would have a better rapport with the players

Offline Andy

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Well, it shows that strength of character doesn't make a captain, it's strength of personality. Cook's obviously been listening to his batting coach too much - hence the slow, inflexible tactics. Only thing in his favour is that now we have to start replacing those older than him in the team.

JohnnyW

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
Maybe Carberry would be worth persevering with for 12 months, hopefully by then Root will be able to open. Though maybe if Flower goes Compton can come back, I think he is possibly worth giving another go.

Offline DT

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Maybe Carberry would be worth persevering with for 12 months, hopefully by then Root will be able to open. Though maybe if Flower goes Compton can come back, I think he is possibly worth giving another go.

Too much chopping and changing hasn't helped - should have stuck with Root opening and batted Carberry at 3 when Trott left.

Also, it's sad when great teams are on the decline and I'm afraid the current England side are getting older and on the way out.

eastsax

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
Goes without saying (again) that shot away Prior and no James Foster ...

So I won't bother   :-\

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
I can only agree with the general consensus - The Ego, Prior, Jimmy, Swanny & Ally all deserve dropping on current form.

Personally I'm inclined to drop the first 3.

Swanny? One more chance?

Ally - will he drop himself  (Mike Denness dropped himself on the infamous "Lillee & Thompson tour" mid 70s) and / or resign as captain? (I know he isn't officially part of the selection panel but if he said he didn't feel worth his place in the team, surely they'd have to accept.) Or will he drop down to 3, making room for Sam Robson or swapping with Joe Root, and getting us a left-right opening combo?

But the other front-line batters haven't been much better - Root  averaging under 30 & Carberry barely over. Even Ian Bell is only averaging 38.

My contention is that given this mess bringing in 2 new batsmen - Sam Robson & Gary Ballance - and replacing Prior with Bairstow and Anderson with one of the big quicks is our best hope. Maybe even go as far a 6 batsmen with Bairstow & Stokes at 7 & 8. Desperate times, desperate measures needed;  anyone heard Albert Einstein's definition of madness? Keeping on doing the same things and expecting different results.

tonk

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
Looks like captaincy has got to Cookie and it's a different game when you are loosing.I still can't work out how Warner and Smith were allowed to make 100's-there is something sadly lacking with the bowling/plans.In the short run I would like to see Bell+Root swap places,get shot of Prior for Bairstow and get Finn back in but keep him away from the coaching staff-he needs to do what Anderson did years ago when they tried to change his action and go back to what got him in the team in the first place.

Offline DT

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
I'd get some of the performance squad players out there - Ali, Buttler (better keeper than Bairstow), Briggs, Jordan and Overton.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
anyone heard Albert Einstein's definition of madness? Keeping on doing the same things and expecting different results.

I thought that was Grayson's definition of coaching.

eastsax

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
Quote from: Gilders link=topic=128.msg2534#msg253
from what I recall he dismissed Cook & Trott and hit Root, Bresnan & Swann.  Imagine what he might do on a raging quick Perth wicket which is what they're obviously going to prepare.

And from what I remember a stubborn 32 to frustrate the life out of particularly Swann, and co.

Offline nat

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Quote from: Gilders link=topic=128.msg2534#msg253
from what I recall he dismissed Cook & Trott and hit Root, Bresnan & Swann.  Imagine what he might do on a raging quick Perth wicket which is what they're obviously going to prepare.

And from what I remember a stubborn 32 to frustrate the life out of particularly Swann, and co.

If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting then ...
no, no, no.

Offline Mog

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
Well, it shows that strength of character doesn't make a captain, it's strength of personality. Cook's obviously been listening to his batting coach too much - hence the slow, inflexible tactics. Only thing in his favour is that now we have to start replacing those older than him in the team.

As you know Andy, that could be a perfect description of Essex CCC and the way they've gone about their cricket over the past ten years or more. Firstly, under the clueless Irani, who was given his instructions before each session via Fletcher and later Gooch, and stuck to them to the syllable. But, this is a deeply ingrained No Change Essex Club policy that's been repeated to its current unsuccessful conclusion down the line in 2013. Trouble is, it will be continued with under the current coach and captain. The personnel may change...(albeit way too slowly), but the underlying ineptness will stay as it is.
As, I and others have stated, the only way is to bring in coaches (preferably with no connection to the Club) who have the ability and confidence to think for themselves and make the changes necessary. Sadly, until the one branch of the jobs for life members of ECCC, currently sitting on the Cricket committee, need to depart before anything else!

Offline Andy

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
Mog. You know full well you are preaching to converted here on this issue.

I get the feeling the Ashes were lost months ago, maybe even before the Compton farce. Don't like the way certain ex England captains have laid into their ex-team mates. Thus far, Ally hasn't cried in public...