Author Topic: Quadrangular Under-19 Series (India)  (Read 546 times)

Offline dazedpenguin

Quadrangular Under-19 Series (India)
« on: November 15, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »
Charlie Allison and Luc Benkenstein are playing for England Under-19s in the 50 over tournament involving India Under 19s A and B and Bangladesh Under 19s. Tough going so far and England have lost the first two games. Benkenstein scored 69 and took 2-47 in the first game, and scored 30 and took 1-47 in the second. Allison got a duck in the first game and scored 47 in the second.

Great experience for them. The England team also includes Jaydn Denley and Farhan Ahmed.

More details on cricinfo here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/quadrangular-under-19-series-india-2023-24-1407876

Offline Crisp

Re: Quadrangular Under-19 Series (India)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 08:33:41 AM »
I think that Noah Thain played in the first game as well, batted ok but got spanked in his brief spell of bowling.

There are a couple of high expectation players in that squad, Ben McKinney who has played for Durham and Eddie Jack of Hampshire, interesting if the youth hype of these Two materialises.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 09:09:42 PM »
I missed Noah Thain's name on the scorecard. 32 and 0-22 from 2 overs, but pitches in India are going to take some getting used to. Maybe he can take inspiration from Foster and Lever who did alright for the full side all those years ago.

I haven't seen much of Eddie Jack, but I'm a terrible judge of which players will make it from this level. Quite a few of the Under-19 World Cup winners team had good county careers of course:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-under-19-world-cup-1997-98-298815/england-under-19s-vs-new-zealand-under-19s-final-329666/full-scorecard

but I was convinced Peters and Franks were going to be big stars.

Offline Crisp

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 06:21:28 AM »
Jonathan Powell only played a couple of first class games for us and fell through the club cricket scene very quickly.

Nick Wilton and Giles Heywood also had very short first class careers, it's a fine line and many of this year's class will go the same way.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 11:46:20 AM »
Noah Thain had a good day in England's win over Bangladesh. He scored 88 batting at 3 and took 1-31 from 7 overs in the Bangladesh innings. Allison and Benkenstein didn't have such a good time: Charlie scoring 10, Luc 22 and taking 0-38 from 4 overs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1216993

Eddie Jack took 5-57. 3 more matches to come before the final, which I'm guessing will be India A vs India B.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 12:17:03 PM »
Jonathan Powell only played a couple of first class games for us and fell through the club cricket scene very quickly.

Nick Wilton and Giles Heywood also had very short first class careers, it's a fine line and many of this year's class will go the same way.

I may be wrong, but did Powell suffer a shoulder injury that curtailed his career? I recall him playing alongside Peter Such in a very high scoring game at Colchester. I remember some members at Chelmsford discusing that 1997 team saying they thought one or two of the team would be huge stars. It didn't really happen. I suppose Napier did ok out of the Essex contingent, Peters also, but not for Essex. Let's hope for more than that for the three guys currently involved.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 12:22:13 PM by Slogger »

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 06:07:10 PM »
England beat India B in today's game: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/quadrangular-under-19-series-india-2023-24-1407876/india-b-under-19s-vs-england-under-19s-8th-match-1407886/full-scorecard

51 and 2-36 from 8 overs for Noah Thain. Luc Benkenstein took England home with 4 balls to spare, scoring 25 not out with 3 sixes. He also took 0-44 from 8 overs. Charlie Allison didn't play in this game.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 06:21:53 PM »

I may be wrong, but did Powell suffer a shoulder injury that curtailed his career? I recall him playing alongside Peter Such in a very high scoring game at Colchester. I remember some members at Chelmsford discusing that 1997 team saying they thought one or two of the team would be huge stars. It didn't really happen. I suppose Napier did ok out of the Essex contingent, Peters also, but not for Essex. Let's hope for more than that for the three guys currently involved.

Not sure about Powell's injury, but Napier was unlucky not to play T20 internationals at least. He did get called up to the T20 World Cup squad in 2009 but didn't get a game.