Author Topic: Full Member Numbers  (Read 26044 times)

BlueEagles

Full Member Numbers
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »

Danny,

Last years accounts revealed that the number of FULL MEMBERS reduced from 1,353 in 2012 to 1,220 in 2013. This is a very alarming reduction of 10%. As the season is half way through and thus recruitment of new members will now be negligible, can you please review your database and advise
this forum what the updated figure is? 

Offline Blocky

Re: Full Member Numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
the number of full members is 1200( and some change)?

bloody hell, i thought it was about 6000.

No wonder we push T20...

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:52:25 AM »
I think full members refers to lifers.

Any drop in that number will have to include deaths I imagine.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
Going off the election results as published and making one or two (possibly unjustified) assumptions I would estimate that there are about 5-6000 members, including “lifers”.

Basis for calculations: candidates received a grand total of 3326 votes. Assuming everyone didn’t use all their 5 votes, but it averaged out at 3 per member (from experience elsewhere) then that gives about 1100 voters. Again from experience elsewhere I would expect a postal vote to result in around 20% of those entitled to vote doing so, which gives around 5500 potential voters, of who we know lifers are around 1200. Ergo, there are somewhere between 4 and 5 thousand full members.

I am of course, willing to be challenged, or told I’m wrong, but it seems to fit!

Offline nat

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »
I think full members refers to lifers.

Nope. Full members are adult yearly renewals. You are correct to be alarmed at the drop in member numbers. Not sure the club is quite so worried.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
If that’s the case, Nat, and I’d be grateful for a reference in support of Blue Eagle’s opening remarks, the recent committee elections had an excellent turnout
If 1200 members plus (what?) 300 lifers, so 1500 all voted for 5 candidates, that would have mean 7500 votes. In fact there were 3326 or 44% of the possible. Now I know for a fact that some members didn’t vote for 5 candidates so if on average this engaged group voted for 4 that would be 6000 possible votes or 55%. Very, very impressive. Well above the average Trade Union or professional society.

5000 or so, including lifers sound more likely, TBH.

Surely the Committee hasn’t got that level of support!

Offline Starfish

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
Thanks for post and interest.

We, like nearly every County we have spoken to, have seen a decline in Membership numbers in recent years. To date, for 2014, we are approx. 5% down across all categories. Membership uptake within the Junior / Teen / Young Adult and Premier Suite as well as new life Members are certainly encouraging to date.

The main overriding reason for non renewal (shown via our telephone calls) is sadly ill health and their ability to get to games.

Obviously we have all of the one-day competition to come and the Colchester Festival, both usually generate a modest flurry of Memberships. We are starting work now on gathering feedback, listening to lapsed, current and potential Members for us to build the Membership packages for 2015.

We are striving to add further value and benefits of being an Essex County Cricket Club Member. Obviously this is a key focus for all at the Club. With the above in mind if you would like to send your suggestions for how we can maintain and ideally increase Membership numbers: danny.macklin@essexcricket.org.uk / 01245 254039 or in person at an upcoming game.

Kind regards, Danny

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
Only 5%.

We're obviously a tolerant bunch.

Offline Perov

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
The ability to get to games should also include the ability to get home from games.
I know a number of members who like one day games (40 overs preferred although they will tolerate 50 overs) - but have no interest in T/20.

For some reason all the Essex 50 over home games are day night which will finish around 10pm or later, and for people who rely on public transport, or those that have an hours journey home and an early start for work next morning these late finishes are not attractive.
An 11am start for a couple of 50 over games would be more attractive to those who have to consider the value of the membership package.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »

We, like nearly every County we have spoken to, have seen a decline in Membership numbers in recent years. To date, for 2014, we are approx. 5% down across all categories. Membership uptake within the Junior / Teen / Young Adult and Premier Suite as well as new life Members are certainly encouraging to date.

The main overriding reason for non renewal (shown via our telephone calls) is sadly ill health and their ability to get to games.

Obviously we have all of the one-day competition to come and the Colchester Festival, both usually generate a modest flurry of Memberships. We are starting work now on gathering feedback, listening to lapsed, current and potential Members for us to build the Membership packages for 2015.

We are striving to add further value and benefits of being an Essex County Cricket Club Member. Obviously this is a key focus for all at the Club. With the above in mind if you would like to send your suggestions for how we can maintain and ideally increase Membership numbers: danny.macklin@essexcricket.org.uk / 01245 254039 or in person at an upcoming game.

Kind regards, Danny

We are down 5% of what?
1000?
5000?

Offline nat

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »

Offline Starfish

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
The ability to get to games should also include the ability to get home from games.
I know a number of members who like one day games (40 overs preferred although they will tolerate 50 overs) - but have no interest in T/20.

For some reason all the Essex 50 over home games are day night which will finish around 10pm or later, and for people who rely on public transport, or those that have an hours journey home and an early start for work next morning these late finishes are not attractive.
An 11am start for a couple of 50 over games would be more attractive to those who have to consider the value of the membership package.

Thanks for post, please see fixtures for Lancashire 50 over start time

http://www.essexcricket.org.uk/fixtures/

Offline Perov

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 03:56:03 PM »
That's good to know Danny, thanks.
In the yearbook, page 192, the fixtures show the floodlight sign against the Lancashire match, and I took that as a day night match.

I'm pleased that now we have one that starts at a more reasonable time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:14:19 PM by Perov »

Offline vim

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
To prove the old saying that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. I bet that a number of non driving members will complain that a 10.30 am start on a weekday for a one day game will mean, shock horror that they will have to pay full fare on public transport. Also rail cards and bus passes will be invalid.

BlueEagles

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »

The main overriding reason for non renewal (shown via our telephone calls) is sadly ill health and their ability to get to game.

Kind regards, Danny

Danny,

Many thanks for your prompt response, however, can you please advise us how many 'Full Members' we currently have, i.e. the 26-63 year olds, who pay the full fee of £159?

With respect, it should be easy to increase the Junior membership ( Associate Members),
as they only pay £10 or £12 per year!