Author Topic: V SURREY  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Wicky

Re: V SURREY
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
Short and quick day with 14 wickets for Harmer - when and if would he qualify for England call up?

Offline neil

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
Short and quick day with 14 wickets for Harmer - when and if would he qualify for England call up?

Up in the air by the sound of this article

https://sportscafe.in/cricket/articles/2020/apr/10/representing-england-in-near-future-off-the-table-reveals-simon-harmer

Online JasonP

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »
Harmer wasn't even supposed to be playing.  He was advised to miss the first couple of games and thought maybe the first 4/6 weeks.  Shows how good he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PrbmYCqAEI

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2020, 03:24:42 PM »

This was discussed at the Members forum and we were told his visa makes him ineligible - he has to qualify through 10 years residence.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
Wow what a fantastic bowler Simon is, best figs ever v Surrey, 1st to take 14 wickets in a match 3 times since Underwood, the superlatives roll on, plus a slip catch as well, Surrey must be sick of him what with his bowling last year in both matches & his ton in 2018! I hope his abductor injury doesn't stop him playing, arguably he may well turn out to be our best ever O/Seas player, certainly at present arguably our best Kolpak ever.
Such a shame on another glorious day none of us could be there.

Offline Perov

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »
A good win.
Strange that with the ground in lockdown,  and only essential personnel allowed in,
Ronnie Irani was watching from the balcony of one of the retirement flats whilst Goochy was down the Hayes Close end in a deck chair.   8)

Offline Postman

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
A good win.
Strange that with the ground in lockdown,  and only essential personnel allowed in,
Ronnie Irani was watching from the balcony of one of the retirement flats whilst Goochy was down the Hayes Close end in a deck chair.   8)
I wonder if the Duke of Norfolk will be allowed to watch the match at Arundel??

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »

This was discussed at the Members forum and we were told his visa makes him ineligible - he has to qualify through 10 years residence.

I wish we could get some 100% official confirmation of this as I hear a different version of "will he, won't he" nearly every other week!. I'd dread to think where we'd be if we lost him and being a natural pessimist, i fear that this season will be the last one we will be able to call upon his services whenever we want. HOWEVER, putting on my optimistic hat (for once!) then maybe it s a good sign that Nijjar isnt playing as that would indicate the club knows that we WILL still have Harmer next season, as surely, if not, then they should be playing Nijjar at every opportunity to let him develop and get more experience now before he's thrown in at the deep end?!

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2020, 04:08:01 PM »
South Africa are the bigger threat. It's only a matter of time before Graeme Smith comes calling, cap in hand full of apologies for previous regimes with an olive branch. It would be a surprise to me not to see Harmer in a Saffa shirt when they tour England in 2022.

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »
South Africa are the bigger threat. It's only a matter of time before Graeme Smith comes calling, cap in hand full of apologies for previous regimes with an olive branch. It would be a surprise to me not to see Harmer in a Saffa shirt when they tour England in 2022.

That would be the lesser of the two evils as at least we would still then have him available all season for 3 out of 4 Summers!!!

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2020, 05:38:11 PM »
I wish we could get some 100% official confirmation of this as I hear a different version of "will he, won't he" nearly every other week!. I'd dread to think where we'd be if we lost him and being a natural pessimist, i fear that this season will be the last one we will be able to call upon his services whenever we want. HOWEVER, putting on my optimistic hat (for once!) then maybe it s a good sign that Nijjar isnt playing as that would indicate the club knows that we WILL still have Harmer next season, as surely, if not, then they should be playing Nijjar at every opportunity to let him develop and get more experience now before he's thrown in at the deep end?!

Sorry, what is more official than the chairman saying it and Simon being one of our overseas for next year. Listen to the forum yourself if you don't believe me.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
I dont think we will see him in a SA or England shirt tbh. 

Online JasonP

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29639940/simon-harmer-closes-door-england-ambitions-welcome-sa-talks

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »

Sorry, what is more official than the chairman saying it and Simon being one of our overseas for next year. Listen to the forum yourself if you don't believe me.

Ahhh, I see, well that’s that then obviously!

It’s like the dreaded football club chairman giving his manager the vote of confidence!!.....IF England want him and it’s clear that Harmer is desperate to play for England, then they will find a loophole to exploit to get him.

One thing is almost for certain though, he will be (baring injury or Covid!) playing test match cricket next year for one Country or another!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:21:41 PM by ytsejam1 »

Offline Andy

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
He lives in Epping - my late Aunt and her family used to live there - far better than South Africa with its gunfights in the streets...hang on, he must feel right at home at the end of the central line!!