Author Topic: This seasons comp  (Read 9025 times)

Offline nat

Re: This seasons comp
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
dreadful dreadful bowling today. We've given up this comp.

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
dreadful dreadful bowling today. We've given up this comp.

Those two overs from Snater were arguably amongst the worst I've ever seen bowled by a "so called" Professional player!

Offline nat

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2020, 12:49:34 PM »
Snater should never bowl for Essex again.

Offline nat

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2020, 01:55:48 PM »
Delport...what a plonker

Offline nat

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
Westley batting so badly almost untrue.

Offline nat

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
A shambles

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »
Embarrassing performance today in front of the TV camera's....rubbish bowling, inadequate batting (apart from our 40 year old again!). Out of the competition by halfway as there's no way that lightning will strike twice.

All the eggs in the Mr Willis Trophy now! Will the captain do the right thing and drop himself?! (hell knows how he hasn't already been dropped in the T20!).

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2020, 03:08:28 PM »
Appalling bowling display with Snater unable to bowl even 1 ball straight at the stumps (he needs a good bowling coach to work with him for a considerable time), Harmer bowled superbly, Nijjar ok bar 1 over, Quinn not too bad especially in the final over. The fielding was poor at best, Tendo at 40 often looks our best & certainly his enthusiasm & effort needs to rub off on others pdq.
Batting wise a reasonable start but Delport played an absolutely stupid shot when he just needed to play (& hit) straight, at least he got some runs unlike Westley, Lawrence & Walter who in various ways threw their wickets away leaving the admirable Tendo far too much to do.
That has to be it for T20 this season, we have no chance of qualifying & we'll be lucky to win even 1 game at this rate, good job fans weren't allowed in as it would have been so embarrassing to watch.
One for Aztec to answer, maybe - Is Kent's 81 in the Powerplay the highest ever or the highest ever against us? I suspect so.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
Kent's 81 is not even the highest by them this season. I believe they scored 88 in an earlier match. Bell-Drummond & Crawley have been sensational so far. I heard this from the Kent commentators. I had to switch to their commentary as BBC Essex had the dynamic duo of Topley and Gledhill. Topley spent the first few overs repeatedly stating that it would be a low scoring match owing to the vast outfield and boundaries would be few and far between. He also said as the wicket would be used by the Surrey match later it was bound to be slow. I wonder how much he gets paid for such insightful comments?

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2020, 12:13:47 AM »
It should have been a low scoring match. Conceding over 190 on that pitch has go down as one of the worst bowling displays we've ever served up in this format of the game. It really was that bad! It's no surprise how awful we are, we knew it last season and got dragged through the groups kicking and screaming by a mixture of Amir, Bopara and the rain! The only positive I can give to us in T20 is that Harmer has improved as a T20 bowler and is a smart captain. That's it though unfortunately, I can't count Tendo as a positive as he probably won't even be here next season.

Having said all that, I'm honestly not that bothered that we're losing. We've finally won the competition and should continue to challenge for red ball honours, so I'm content for us to become the next Middlesex and prop up the South Group for the next five years because that's what we've got ahead of us. What really annoys me is that bowling like yesterday is such a disgraceful advertisement on national television not just for our club, but for county cricket as a whole. It's displays like that which will only increase the calls for the Hundred and the abolishment of counties playing elite level domestic cricket.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
Bit harsh Alex. The opposition are allowed to play well too. Crawley and Bell-Drummond have been very effective against most sides so far. Blake is a hitter who comes off every now and then and yesterday was his day.

Offline Reddevil

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 10:57:16 AM »
I always try to try to be positive on this forum but boy is it hard after watching a display like that.

If ever a match epitomised top versus bottom this was it. Ilford Eagle, summarised the match superbly, they hit the gaps, we didn’t. Simple as.

Awful though the pace bowling was, bad balls still have to be put away, and Kent’s openers were superb, and basically won the match in the power play. How Snater is still at the club, let alone playing, baffles me. He took a good catch but that was it.

One can only paper over the cracks for so long. Trouble is we don’t have cracks, we have crevasses, into which we are falling headlong.

We needed an hour from Delport to stand any chance, before he inextricably committed suicide with his injudicious reverse pull. Leave that to Morgan or KP in his prime.

We were actually ahead of the game I believe, or very near. Even Nick Knight on Delport’s dismissal proclaimed that Kent needed that wicket badly.

I would ban Delport from playing any reverse shot of any kind, and fine him if he did. He is a destructive batsman, but he just needs more crease time. we need more from him.

The ball of which he fell foul, was a full toss. He could have hit it straight down the ground. No matter how good an eye one has,  hitting  across the line is risky. So it proved. One shot too many.

A pity he got himself out as after that desperation took over as scoreboard pressure mounted and eventually engulfed us.

From the moment Niijar gifted Kent five wides in his first over, I suspected I would not enjoy the first time I have seen Essex this Summer. So it proved.

Where do we go from here? Answers on a postcard. A big one.

Offline Andy

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
Was there a match on?  Thought we didn't like such forms of bish bash bosh?

Offline nat

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Was there a match on?  Thought we didn't like such forms of bish bash bosh?
We don't. But we also don't like being humiliated on live TV.

Offline neil

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »

Where do we go from here? Answers on a postcard. A big one.

I rather suspect we see ourselves as, primarily, a red ball team and that deep down we know that  the T20 win,  last year, was a bit of a fluke. We didn't use Jamie, nat's spawn or Beard much this year and it does feel as as though they were testing Snater and Quinn to see whether they had a long term future with the club

I guess with the financial situation some tough decisions will need to be made in the close season about player retention and given this is a bit of a "non year" we went with the BWT as our prime target.

I wonder what the odds would be on Ravi returning...