Author Topic: This seasons comp  (Read 9007 times)

Offline Andy

Re: This seasons comp
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »
Ravi to return next year?

Online nat

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2020, 12:48:08 PM »
So they ring the changes for the Slurry game today at the ECG. Out got Westley, Chopra, Snater and Quinn. Good. Although the batting is wafer thin. Again.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
So they ring the changes for the Slurry game today at the ECG. Out got Westley, Chopra, Snater and Quinn. Good. Although the batting is wafer thin. Again.

Bit surprised Quinn isn’t playing.  I thought he’d done pretty well overall.  Beard has been pretty awful when he’s played before.
The batting does look weak.  There’s enough bowlers in that side to play another batsman but with Westley and Chopra out of form who else is there?  Khushi hasn’t made the 17 man squad this season so they obviously don’t fancy him, same with Patel.  I guess Cook doesn’t fancy playing?  He has hardly played for the last 5/6 years but he was pretty good when he did play.  Hardly a forward step but he makes the best eleven at present.

Offline vim

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
Now there is no Don Topley today, we can all hear Gledhill whistling through his teeth and heavy breathing.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »
Moriarty played several times for Essex seconds last season with no conspicuous success yet he has taken 5 wickets three times in his first two first class games for Surrey and to date three more today. One that got away?

Online nat

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »
Moriarty played several times for Essex seconds last season with no conspicuous success yet he has taken 5 wickets three times in his first two first class games for Surrey and to date three more today. One that got away?
Yep saw him bowl for the 2XI and you/I could immediately tell he had something. Club should've asked me.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2020, 02:21:13 PM »
Yep saw him bowl for the 2XI and you/I could immediately tell he had something. Club should've asked me.

Hes had a good season for Surrey

Offline JasonP

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »

Nijjar has been around for a while and has barely really played so I guess there was no real need to sign another left arm spinner.  If Zampa had have come back,as he was due to, Nijjar Would have not have played this year.  The only need we have for another spinner is if Harmer is not available.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2020, 04:00:43 PM »
Well, if they can't defend 195..........

I know it's Chelmsford, but this is NOT good.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
We are just bad at T20.  We don't have the players that are suited to it.  I can't think of one decent bowler.   Last year was pretty much a fluke where everything went our way.  A mixture of rain, Bopara and somehow Glamorgan beating Hampshire got us to finals day, where the pitch was tailor made for us.  We have won THREE home matches in the last three years.  Colin Graves gets a lot of stick for calling the Blast mediocre but a side with a recent home record like ours winning it last year is not a good look for the competition.

Offline bobw

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
I cant say I am too woried abut how we perform in the T20 as long as we can keep winning in the Championship. Unless crowds start falling that is.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »
I cant say I am too woried abut how we perform in the T20 as long as we can keep winning in the Championship. Unless crowds start falling that is.

I don't disagree too much with that.  I don't mind being average at T20 while being good at 4 day cricket but an average of 1 home win a season is far from being average.  I'm not too fussed with the away performances in T20 but the home performances have to be better than they are at present.  Otherwise me and others will get fed up with it.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2020, 05:18:14 PM »
Today sounds like an exciting finish, at least we got a decent total but once again couldn't defend it!!
Some interesting team changes but fully justified given recent form, not really sure what we should do in remaining 4 games but our T20 season is clearly over, the likes of Harmer (yes I know he's Captain), Porter, Cook,Tendo should be rested from at least 2 games, preferably the last 2 so that key players can be suitably rested & refreshed for Lords.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
Today sounds like an exciting finish, at least we got a decent total but once again couldn't defend it!!
Some interesting team changes but fully justified given recent form, not really sure what we should do in remaining 4 games but our T20 season is clearly over, the likes of Harmer (yes I know he's Captain), Porter, Cook,Tendo should be rested from at least 2 games, preferably the last 2 so that key players can be suitably rested & refreshed for Lords.

I would rest the players for Somerset match for next three T20 games. But give them a game on last match so they don't go into final cold.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »
I completely agree JasonP, winning the 20/20 last season was a remarkable fluke and normal service has now resumed. However, I think in a few years time we will look back on this period of 4 day cricket as a truly golden era. Championships won and an incredible run of wins at Chelmsford. Enjoy it while it lasts as everything is cyclical.