Author Topic: Squad for India tour  (Read 3652 times)

Offline dazedpenguin

Squad for India tour
« on: December 11, 2023, 01:24:21 PM »
No place for Dan Lawrence. I don't see how they create a balanced team if Stokes can't bowl. I haven't seen Shoaib Bashir bowl:

Ben Stokes (Durham captain)
Rehan Ahmed (Leicestershire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Gus Atkinson (Surrey)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Shoaib Bashir (Somerset)
Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Tom Hartley (Lancashire)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/3818982/england-men-squad-for-india-test-tour-announced

Online nat

Re: Squad for India tour
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 02:23:46 PM »
No place for Dan Lawrence. I don't see how they create a balanced team if Stokes can't bowl. I haven't seen Shoaib Bashir bowl:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/3818982/england-men-squad-for-india-test-tour-announced

I have...
an average young bowler.

Offline Crisp

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »

I have...
an average young bowler.

I have seen him, better than Tom "Darts" Hartley, still mediocre, really suprised with the way England play Jacks and Dawson were not taken.

Online nat

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »

I have...
an average young bowler.

I have seen him, better than Tom "Darts" Hartley, still mediocre, really suprised with the way England play Jacks and Dawson were not taken.

Rumour is that Jacks and Dawson told the selectors to **** *** (but not in so many words). They have bigger GBPs to fry playing the franchise circuit.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 05:08:50 PM »

I have...
an average young bowler.

The feeling is the "Darts" style of bowling is the one that takes wickets in India.  Axar Patel took 27 wkts at 11 each the last time England played there bowling left arm like that.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 05:29:54 PM »
Rumour is that Jacks and Dawson told the selectors to **** *** (but not in so many words). They have bigger GBPs to fry playing the franchise circuit.

Given that Jacks was one of the few to not get a central contract and Dawson has been messed around by the selectors before, I don't blame them. Both would have given England more balance.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »
The official word is that Dawson and Jacks were both available but Stokes won't be bowling.
I hope I'm wrong but this squad looks seriously unbalanced. At least one of Dawson and Jacks should have been picked. Our tail worries me - Ollie Robinson has never convinced at 8, but he's the better than the other options - will we play him in every Test?
And I hope Jack Leach stays fit.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 07:10:39 PM »
"A closer look at Shoaib Bashir | Somerset's young off-spinner"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3dKgTw9CM

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 05:43:51 PM »
They've also announced the England Lions squad for India. They have some games scheduled against India A and will also presumably be providing cover for the full squad: https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/3821113/england-lions-squad-for-india-tour-announced

No Essex players, although I think Matt Critchley deserves a chance, certainly ahead of Price, Coles and Mousley.

Josh Bohannon (Lancashire ? captain)
Kasey Aldridge (Somerset)
Brydon Carse (Durham)
Jack Carson (Sussex)
James Coles (Sussex)
Matt Fisher (Yorkshire)
Keaton Jennings (Lancashire)
Tom Lawes (Surrey)
Alex Lees (Durham)
Dan Mousley (Warwickshire)
Callum Parkinson (Durham)
Matt Potts (Durham)
Ollie Price (Gloucestershire)
James Rew (Somerset)
Ollie Robinson (Durham)

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 11:05:05 AM »
Has Critchley got a franchise gig lined up instead maybe?

Offline Andy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 05:08:40 PM »
Dan Lawrence to the rescue!!!

Online nat

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 06:38:13 PM »
Dan Lawrence to the rescue!!!

Lucky boy. His recent performances don't merit it. Sam Hain, Keaton Jennings, Josh Bohannon are more deserving.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 12:47:08 PM »
India batter Virat Kohli has withdrawn from the first two Tests against England for personal reasons.

Dan?s frog in a blender bowling style was obviously taken into consideration for his inclusion!

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 12:35:22 PM »
 Already looking like a three day test.
 Big worry was the England spinners never got the same movement off the wicket, did the roller play a part between innings ?
 Unless amongst the wickets in the first session of the second day, England inability in containment in that last session will see the game already drift away out of reach .

Offline Andy

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 02:21:38 PM »
Already looking like a three day test.
 Big worry was the England spinners never got the same movement off the wicket, did the roller play a part between innings ?
 Unless amongst the wickets in the first session of the second day, England inability in containment in that last session will see the game already drift away out of reach .

Could be that the four year olds we have picked aren?t in the same class?