Author Topic: Peter Keith  (Read 1839 times)

Offline neil

Peter Keith
« on: April 21, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »
Peter was treasurer of the club for many, many years  and did much to help it get on a sound financial basis. He was involved (along with Trevor Bailey and Doug Insole) in arranging the loan from Warwickshire that helped keep the county afloat.

Sadly, he passed away last Saturday. He was a lovely, lovely man and I was a close personal friend and am involved in the funeral arrangements. If there is anyone on here who knew him and wishes to attend the funeral could they please pm me.

Unfortunately, the response from the club to the news of the passing of someone who gave so much has been poor. I'll say no more but it's left a sour taste.

Offline vim

Re: Peter Keith
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
Could the response from the club have been fallout from the old Chelmsford City FC ground deal all those years ago?

Offline neil

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
Could the response from the club have been fallout from the old Chelmsford City FC ground deal all those years ago?

No idea.

However, we are talking about someone who was in post for many years and left on very good terms.

I'll leave it there.

Offline pablo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:56:12 AM »
I'd like to add to what Neil has said. Peter was my friend for over 50 years and his commitment to the club was absolute. He was unquestionably a key part of a back room team, alongside Peter Edwards and Doug Insole, who transformed the club from perennial also runs and never weres to indisputably the nation's leading cricket team for over a decade. He managed many of the players' benefits for years with diligence and integrity and was always generous with his time and assistance to others.
In an appreciative world he should have a part of the ground named after him like Insole and Edwards but it seems he has not as yet even had an acknowledgement on the club's website - probably because it would take the place of a sponsorship or some other promotion. Such is today's world.
The club missed him after he retired and we who knew him will miss him even more.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »
I'd like to add to what Neil has said. Peter was my friend for over 50 years and his commitment to the club was absolute. He was unquestionably a key part of a back room team, alongside Peter Edwards and Doug Insole, who transformed the club from perennial also runs and never weres to indisputably the nation's leading cricket team for over a decade. He managed many of the players' benefits for years with diligence and integrity and was always generous with his time and assistance to others.
In an appreciative world he should have a part of the ground named after him like Insole and Edwards but it seems he has not as yet even had an acknowledgement on the club's website - probably because it would take the place of a sponsorship or some other promotion. Such is today's world.
The club missed him after he retired and we who knew him will miss him even more.

A Club Statement added today.

https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2019/04/24/club-statement-peter-keith/

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:00:57 PM »
So, does this indicate that someone from the club does lurk on this message board? ;)

RIP Peter. Clearly one of those unsung heroes who helped turn a failing club into a well run business.

Offline neil

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:35 PM »
So, does this indicate that someone from the club does lurk on this message board? ;)

RIP Peter. Clearly one of those unsung heroes who helped turn a failing club into a well run business.

Nothing to do with anyone from Essex lurking here!

And thank you for the comments about Peter. Those of us who knew him well are only too aware of how much he did for the club.