Author Topic: We've won The Ashes...  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Andy

We've won The Ashes...
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
...yet it feels a bit of an anti climax. I'm even feeling sorry for Clarke. Brings back too many memories of one sided thrashings  in the 1990s and early noughties.

At least in 2005 we beat most of their top players who were not thinking about retirement to the IPL.

I wonder if there will be a concerted effort to get more of their next generation to come to Englad - not only to acclimatise to seaming wickets but to get some serious 4 day experience.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
Re: We've won The Ashes...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
Will eat humble pie after only predicting a series draw at least , can I have custard with mine .

Congrats to Capt Cook - all Essex should be proud of the achievement .

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »
Would we be better off, as a county, looking for a next generation Aussie bat/all rounder in place of Jesse next year?

They've clearly fallen into the old trap of focusing too much upon the shorter format whilst their batters particularly haven't enough experience outside of their own home conditions.

It would make sense for the BBL/IPL to function as an old players tournament, like the Masters tournaments in tennis, whilst they develop their youngsters in testing conditions.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Would we be better off, as a county, looking for a next generation Aussie bat/all rounder in place of Jesse next year?

NO! Why should we help the Aussies rebuild? I want us to keep the Ashes for a long time ...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:34:46 PM by essexfan548 »

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
Thought Jesse had a two year deal starting from last season .

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:02:42 PM »

The problem there is that if we do then he will be recalled early for a training camp etc which will mean missing part of the season, likely to be at the business end, whereas we have Jesse all season with little chance if any of NZ Test call ups. I'd say stick with Jesse for the time being.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »

NO! Why should we help the Aussies rebuild? I want us to keep the Ashes for a long time ...

Spot on, I doubt they would help us out.  Steer clear of young upcoming players.  If counties want o/s players it should be top class internationals, not youngsters using it as a learning curve for int cricket.  Same as kolpacks (the way faf du plessis did with Lancs)

Offline galboy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
No coincidence that only Rogers and Voges are the only two that had played a lot of County cricket and therefore know the conditions. The lack of Aussies playing over her for full seasons must have some impact on their ability to do well over here.

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
No coincidence that only Rogers and Voges are the only two that had played a lot of County cricket and therefore know the conditions. The lack of Aussies playing over her for full seasons must have some impact on their ability to do well over here.

Exactly, that and an over emphasis upon 20/20 as well. Interesting that the likes of Khawaja are in India for the A team thrashing attacks that are mediocre even according to the Indian press. 20/20 should only be for semi-retired cricketers: like that south African chappie that played for England...you know, big friend of Piers Morgan.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:47 AM »

Exactly, that and an over emphasis upon 20/20 as well. Interesting that the likes of Khawaja are in India for the A team thrashing attacks that are mediocre even according to the Indian press. 20/20 should only be for semi-retired cricketers: like that south African chappie that played for England...you know, big friend of Piers Morgan.

Morgan has friends??

Offline pablo

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
we haven't heard for a whole week now from Willis and Atherton about how poor county cricket is in developing players and how the whole county system should be reduced to 8 city based franchises.No worries if we lose a test in the UAE or South Africa they'll soon bring out their perennial refrain.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
It crossed my mind that given that these tests are finishing in 3 days maybe we need to get back to 3 day festival cricket to prepare properly...

More seriously though I do wonder if all these back to back test matches are a good thing. No time for squads to recover from a bad game in a tour game in between and no proper lead in time to the first test for the tourists. That applies to Engalnd touring Australia just as much as the Australians coming here.

I should think playing a load of ODIs in September is also a mistake. Maybe we should go back to playing a triangular tournament in June with the final test played over the August Bank holiday?

Offline firehazard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »
we haven't heard for a whole week now from Willis and Atherton ...

Though I thought Joe Root's performance as Willis in the dressing room after the test finished was probably pretty accurate...