Author Topic: V SURREY  (Read 7145 times)

Offline nat

Re: V SURREY
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
I'll tap up James Vince for a % of his contract. Definitely needs a change of scenery.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
I'll tap up James Vince for a % of his contract. Definitely needs a change of scenery.

He would be a superb signing. 

Offline Andy

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »

He would be a superb signing.

As captain?

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »
I think Westley deserves a chance

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
Others will be better informed but Khushi has started pretty well already & Patel is waiting in the wings is he not?

I was under the impression Patel had dropped down the pecking order a little bit.

If we lose RTD and Cook, plus Lawrence to England, we are left with

Browne
Chopra
Westley
Khushi
Patel

I think we may need to bring in a couple!!

That’s a very scary prospect, IF we are back to “proper” cricket next year! Three very inconsistent ‘30 run average‘ experienced player's and two unproven youngsters (hopefully Khushi may establish himself in the next few matches as he does look very promising). Even more pressure on our bowlers who have time and time and time again the last few seasons, got us back into matches and then won them for us too!

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
Some solid scoring plus the key wicket of Stoneman in the last over gives us a great chance of winning tomorrow. A win would put us top & in the driving seat with most of the others winning 1 & losing 1, hopefully apart from Surrey!!

Offline Perov

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
Interesting to hear on commentary, that the Surrey man Mark Church rated Paul Walter, thought he had a good temperament, and a decent technique. He suggested he should reinvent himself as an opener.
We may need an opener soon, is it worth a try?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »
The way Chef spoke about playing for Essex and how much he loved it gives me confidence he'll want to play for us next season.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2020, 06:27:40 AM »
Interesting to hear on commentary, that the Surrey man Mark Church rated Paul Walter, thought he had a good temperament, and a decent technique. He suggested he should reinvent himself as an opener.
We may need an opener soon, is it worth a try?
If not an opener, maybe as a number 3, allowing Westley to drop to 5? Tom's never quite looked right at 3 to my eyes

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »
Essex players wearing black armbands .

Offline Slogger

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:21 AM »
Essex players wearing black armbands .

Apparently this was in memory of a guy called Peter Meggs who was a stalwart supporter who died on Sunday. Apparently he watched from the Hayes Close end and was known to many of the players.

Offline vim

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »
If he is the person I think. I had a run in with him at Colchester about smoking in the seats. I now can see why the Senior Steward did not take my side.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »
Well that was very much like the 4 day games at home last year. I thought that pitch eased a bit - to be fair Beard did look like he was bowling some good balls mixed in with some not so good but he does have the knack of picking up wickets. I'd hate to think how we'd get on if Harmer got injured. I think there was a case for Nijjar to play in this game. Anyway one mustn't carp after a crushing win.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »
Marvellous win, even if that Surrey side must be one of their weakest in recent times. 10 straight home wins in first class matches at Chelmsford and Simon Harmer's match figures are the best ever for Essex v Surrey.

Offline Andy

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Agree that we rely on Harmer too much. I suspect that he will be in the test side soon. Somehow we have to square the circle in squeezing in bowlers like Nijaar to develop whilst not depleting the seamers. Maybe Walter could convert to an opener. We could do with a Darren Stevens/Bresnen to share the workload.